The future for adoption groups

sarabz

On 2/15/2020 at 3:01 PM, Hubcitypam said:

I'll vote for that.  I've been to farms from Greymeadow where the Butlers had every luxury known to man to many lease farms in Western Oklahoma that were held together with spit and bailing wire and the dogs were often in not great shape due to monetary limitations. I firmly believe the dogs are still there in Kansas and Western Oklahoma. but the farmers have sort of closed ranks.

i worked with the group that took in all of the Greymeadow hounds from the Butlers. Heard a lot of good things about their farm. My first two greyhounds were Grey's Island Mocha and Greys Pitch Black.

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 7:54 AM, racindog said:

I GUARANTEE you backyard breeders will be breeding Greydoodles and everything else because the stupid public is so shallow and ignorant that there is actually a demand for such poor creatures. There will definitely be a fast buck to be made by unscrupulous people who will breed them for the 'designer' market without a care for their irresponsible actions.

I just :puke . Standard Poodles I'm okay with, it's those mixes that get me.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

I love that the kennel club describes greyhounds as ‘aloof’. Buddy is our first so our experience is limited, but I am reminded of the time when we were getting ready to go out, Buddy caught on that we were leaving and ran the length of the house to ram his nose between my legs from behind. That’s it Bud, play it cool.

There are several greyhound groups in our region as well as a sight hound rescue group near us who brings dogs (primarily greyhounds and lurchers) from Ireland and our local Dog’s Trust always seems to have greyhounds. This is where we got Buddy from - when we visited they told us he’d been there for a while and that they couldn’t understand why nobody wanted him but they put it down to the fact that he is black. I’d never heard this before but they explained that people are superstitious about black dogs, and some people can’t make out expressions on their faces so they are overlooked more than dogs of other colours. I’m not sure how true these things are but one thing’s for certain - I’m a soft touch and these comments were enough to bring Buddy home with us. We also found it interesting that Buddy ran all his races in Essex (south east England) and that he ended up in an adoption centre in Liverpool (north west England) didn’t make any sense to us but there seems to be a lot of moving around for them. Now I’m grateful that he came our way and didn’t end up as meat or bait for something bigger than him. That’s one of the most atrocious things I’ve heard!

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

1 hour ago, MerseyGrey said:

I love that the kennel club describes greyhounds as ‘aloof’. Buddy is our first so our experience is limited, but I am reminded of the time when we were getting ready to go out, Buddy caught on that we were leaving and ran the length of the house to ram his nose between my legs from behind. That’s it Bud, play it cool.

There are several greyhound groups in our region as well as a sight hound rescue group near us who brings dogs (primarily greyhounds and lurchers) from Ireland and our local Dog’s Trust always seems to have greyhounds. This is where we got Buddy from - when we visited they told us he’d been there for a while and that they couldn’t understand why nobody wanted him but they put it down to the fact that he is black. I’d never heard this before but they explained that people are superstitious about black dogs, and some people can’t make out expressions on their faces so they are overlooked more than dogs of other colours. I’m not sure how true these things are but one thing’s for certain - I’m a soft touch and these comments were enough to bring Buddy home with us. We also found it interesting that Buddy ran all his races in Essex (south east England) and that he ended up in an adoption centre in Liverpool (north west England) didn’t make any sense to us but there seems to be a lot of moving around for them. Now I’m grateful that he came our way and didn’t end up as meat or bait for something bigger than him. That’s one of the most atrocious things I’ve heard!

This is one reason we wanted a black hound this time... lots of people shy away from black cats and dogs (I also have a black kitty).

On 2/15/2020 at 11:24 AM, macoduck said:

Sara, from what I've been reading it's more of a transportation issue. Dogs are available but getting them dispersed around the country has some challenges. Also, Jenn Boswell on Facebook with the Alabama group gave a good explanation, including that it seems too many groups are picky about only wanting females, no black dogs, must be cat safe, must be spay/neuter first. Jenn delivers dogs to Canada and to the US west coast, with stops all along the way.

OMG really? My rescue takes in hounds from all over the country (not overseas yet tat I know of). And they are all un-neutered/spayed and a lot are not cat safe. 

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

On 2/16/2020 at 1:43 PM, greysmom said:

I don't understand this comment.  But since it is likely to lead someplace against the TOS, I guess I will just leave it alone.

We've been getting wonderful dogs from the Midwest farms that are closing, but that source won't be available forever.  And, like I stated, we have more applications than we can find dogs for right now.  It's simply too expensive to haul NGA dogs all the way from the southeast to the northwest.  We've already had to increase the adoption fee to try and offset the additional cost.  So our group GPA-NW, Greyhound Pets Inc in Washington, GPA-Greater Northwest in Montana, and several western Canadian groups are having to find dogs wherever we can.  For some, it's Spanish galgos.  For others, it's Irish imports.  For others, it's the cross-bred dogs from underground racing/hunting in the upper midwest.  They are all dogs that need real, actual, rescuing from very difficult situations, but they aren't NGA greyhounds.

There are also many great groups that are just having to shut down.  It's too bad, both for the breed and for those who love them.

Obviously you’ve never seen the list of “approved” adoption groups. 

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Where do you find the list of approved adoption groups? Just curious.

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020

6 minutes ago, JaimeL said:

Where do you find the list of approved adoption groups? Just curious.

It's available from NGA. The breeders/trainers are discouraged from working with anti-racing groups. 

https://www.ngagreyhounds.com/Adopt

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Thank you for the info, it is as I thought it might be.

Edited by JaimeL
oops

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020

Thanks all - I really, REALLY do not want this conversation to devolve and get into anything against the TOS - Mods, can you please close this thread? 

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

To the best of my knowledge dogs (including greyhounds) are private property.  I can tell you from first hand boots on the ground experience the NGA doesn't have adequate resources or the desire  to track where every dog ends up.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg