New info on HealthyPaws

Just got an email from Healthy Paws. In 60 days, they're going up nearly $30/month on my policy that covers two dogs.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

• 3 weeks later...

I am sorry I ever chose Healthy Paws.  Last year, 2 months before my greyhound turned 11, they raised my rates from $56 a month to $98 a month for my one dog.  This year, again two months before my greyhound will turn 12, they have raised the rate to insure one dog to $199 per month.  This from a company that originally promised never to raise rates due to a dog's increasing age.  When I total my premiums and subtract the payouts I have received, Healthy Paws still has $3500 of my money.  I am not going to pay them another $2400 this year.  I will just have to go without insurance.  

1 hour ago, joejoesmom said:

I am sorry I ever chose Healthy Paws.  Last year, 2 months before my greyhound turned 11, they raised my rates from $56 a month to $98 a month for my one dog.  This year, again two months before my greyhound will turn 12, they have raised the rate to insure one dog to $199 per month.  This from a company that originally promised never to raise rates due to a dog's increasing age.  When I total my premiums and subtract the payouts I have received, Healthy Paws still has $3500 of my money.  I am not going to pay them another $2400 this year.  I will just have to go without insurance.  

I would continue to pay the 100 dollars a month to myself.  Open up an account and put the 100 dollars in it ever month just like you pay ever other bill.  If you need the money for the dog it is there.

8 hours ago, dmdsmoxie said:

I would continue to pay the 100 dollars a month to myself.  Open up an account and put the 100 dollars in it ever month just like you pay ever other bill.  If you need the money for the dog it is there.

That's all good, until you have a catastrophic need to pay bills.

It would take 2 years of saving premiums just to pay for chemo treatments, and the accompanying blood tests, administration of the chemo, and chest x-rays. 

In the case of an amputation, it would take 1, 2, possibly 3 years of saving monthly premiums for just the procedure alone, let alone any after care.

Been there, done that.  Even with Amicar administered prior to Taylor's amputation, he still had a tremendous amount of bruising and edema which required a 6 night stay in the hospital, staying on IV's to keep flushing his kidneys to remove the risk of permanent, irreversible damage to his kidneys.  He was peeing dark red for many days, while his body tried to absorb all the fluid from the internal bleeding.  That stay in the hospital was discounted to $4200.00. 

There is no reason to believe the new Healthy Paws will even pay things that they are supposed to. If you read the recent reviews you will see many instances of outright sneaky deception that have left people hanging with no reimbursement for what should have been covered expenses.  The new Healthy Paws knows all the 'tricks'. They pretty much call everything a pre-existing condition whether it is or not. Recently I tried to add a new 100% healthy pup to my policy-this used to be no problem. I sent in his med records and everything just like before when I would add a dog. HP even sent me the usual 'thank you' for doing it. However I received demands for the same records again etc. When I tried to phone them to clear it up(they totally IGNORED several emails I had sent trying to do the same)(perhaps English is the wrong language to use?); after a lengthy hold time, I was unable to communicate with the overseas based customer service rep. She did not understand English well enough and just read stuff from their web site to me! Totally useless. Finally she did transfer to some guy in AZ who seems to get all the calls from disgruntled customers(another customer mentioned getting transferred to the same guy)-it was like talking to a wall.  After an hour and having the vet send the records again they finally send he was enrolled but at an outlandish price, mush higher than a new customer would have got.  I know and want to switch all 3 of my guys while they are young before the same thing happens to me that happened to joejoesmom above. I just have not had time to research and try and find an honest company and want them covered by someone in the meantime. But I am definitely going to switch before I get screwed like joejoesmom did. I think the new owners must be one of those corporations that gets rich by buying a good company and then using its rep to run it into the ground and get rich by destroying it and taking advantage of people.  After they finish destroying HP they will probably buy another one and do the same thing to. JMO.

• 1 month later...
On 3/5/2020 at 8:12 AM, racindog said:

I think the new owners must be one of those corporations that gets rich by buying a good company and then using its rep to run it into the ground and get rich by destroying it and taking advantage of people.  After they finish destroying HP they will probably buy another one and do the same thing to. JMO.

You are absolutely right. Evan Greenberg's daddy was head of AIG. When he told his son Evan that he wasn't going to give him AIG, Evan threw a temper tantrum for 15 months then started Ace insurance. He bought Firemans Fund and I think Travelers and both are gone now. He bought Chubb and kept the name because Ace had such a horrible reputation.  Now Chubb's reputation is crashing too. His aim is to get AIG and tear that apart too.

Unfortunately he took over Healthy Paws.