Dog Introductions

Hi everyone - first time poster. 

We just adopted our 3.5 year old boy this past weekend, and are first time Greyhound owners. We have been going by the book from our agency re: heavy crating and slow adjustments, but I'm not positive about one thing: how do you introduce your greys to other dogs? So far, we just keep away and keep to ourselves on our walks, and it hasn't really even come about because it's been so rainy here that not many are out with their dogs. I'm sure that will change, though, so how do you intro your hound to other dogs? 

Our guy seems interested in small things (ears up, stares, but is easy to divert attention to a "watch me") and most of the time we can just keep walking. The agency said he had a high prey drive, but he hasn't really been showing much interest in things, but I know he is still adjusting so i'm just wary until I know more about him.

Do you use the muzzle or no muzzle or how do you intro your dog to others? We are going to start going to a training class but I wanted your input.

In all other aspects, our boy is adjusting really well. He has roached in his crate, enjoys his out of crate time pets, and is learning quickly about house rules and the retired life. I just want to set him up for success with other dogs/socialization since I'm new to the greyt life!

Thank you!

Sometimes you just don't know until you try something.  

In general though, if he has a high/correctable prey drive, be *extremely* careful around small dogs - or really any dog smaller than he is.  It's possible he would be fine.  It's also possible he won't be, so just avoid meeting any smaller dogs for now. 

Medium size or larger dogs, you can approach slowly, preferably from the side, and let the sniffing begin.  If the other owner is amenable, walking side-by-side for a little while is a great way to let dogs get used to one another.  I would not muzzle him in social situations, unless he's doing a play date with other greyhounds, then they are usually mandatory.  If you have friends with a well balanced single dog, arrange for them to meet on neutral territory and go for a walk.  That way you can see how he reacts.

Some greyhounds are breed snobs - they don't really recognize other dogs as being of the same species!  ;)  - so watch for that.  They can also get agitated if other dogs are too enthusiastic in greetings, or start sticking their noses in private places too rudely.  The greyhound will frequently correct the other dog and that can upset some owners, but it's really just that - a correction - and both dogs will then go on as if nothing happened.  

Some dogs are what is called "leash reactive."  This means they get very nervous and anxious meeting other dogs while they are "trapped" on a leash.  This is a behavior that can be worked through and dealt with though, so don't panic if he seems overly aggressive when meeting dogs on leash.

But most greyhounds get along fine with other dogs with no issues whatsoever.  So give it a try and see what happens!  Having dogs friends is fun!

Good luck.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

We’ve had our first greyhound for almost two years, and he has a high prey drive and has been reactive to other dogs whilst he’s walking. All the advice above is spot on! We had ours muzzled on the advice of the adoption centre, but we’ve found he is much better behaved without it. When we introduce him to other dogs (not always in a controlled manner unfortunately!) we watch his body language and distract him if he looks like he’s becoming too interested in the other dog - this is stiff neck and back, stiff but wagging tail, head raised above the other dog. You’ll learn the cues for your boy. When he’s had a good interaction with another dog he gets treats and praise and he learned quite quickly that good behaviour means a good reward. And now we’re somewhere that we were told we would never be - fairly social dog walkers. We sometimes have to explain to people that our boy can be a bit snappy (these are always the people whose dog is off lead, and they shout at you from half a mile away, ‘it’s ok, my dog is friendly!). It turns out that these are some of the most annoying people you will ever meet!

One very good thing about our boy (he’s 9, so maybe older and wiser, or just world-weary) is that if he gets overwhelmed by a situation, he has learned to take himself off to one side. And he gets a treat for that too. Good luck and enjoy your walks!

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

I think most greyhounds come with a high prey drive warning but a lot of the time it's no worse than other breeds. Most dogs will chase anything that's moving but in a greyhounds case they will catch it :D

Dogs pick up cues from their owners so if you stay calm the chances are so will your hound. When you walk him and see another dog don't tighten his lead or tense up because he will pick up on that but be ready with your "watch me" command if necessary.

I take Grace on greyhound walks which are organised by the adoption agency and are open to all sight hounds. These let her see how the other domesticated hounds react and there were noticeable changes in her after the first couple of walks. It also lets you talk about your favourite subject without a glazed expression on the other persons face.

There are no rules only guidances as each dog and owner are different. Find what works for both of you and enjoy life.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Welcome to the cult club!  Banks sounds like a sweetie and that's he's quickly learning how to fit into his new world.  We need pictures so we can admire him properly.  :)  

Ditto all of the above advice.  Sometimes I call ahead to a calm-looking dog owner, asking if your dogs can say hello.  Most of the time they say yes, but I'm surprised by the number who say that THEIR dog is not friendly on leash.  That's another reason not to muzzle our hounds when just out walking -- you want your dog to be able to protect himself if suddenly attacked.  That's highly unlikely, but still ... . 

If it does turn out that you have to be extra cautious around small dogs, one alternative for extra control is something like  head collar/harness.  Where the head goes, the body will follow.  But as above, you probably won't need it and you and Banks can look forward to meeting all sorts of new people and dogs when you're out.

It also lets you talk about your favourite subject without a glazed expression on the other persons face.

:rofl  So true.  So true.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Allie seemed reactive when meeting new dogs at first.  Until I figured out that she just HATED when another dog came up to her face.  She thought that was horribly rude and let them know it.  Now, I position myself or even turn Allie so that any dog approaches her side.  No problems and everyone gets their sniffs.   Allie also knows that she can "nope" out of a situation by getting behind me or moving to my opposite side, and I will respect her wishes and make sure she is left alone.  

It is very much about learning your dog's cues and figuring out how to work with them.  And always remember that a growl is communication.  I never discourage growling.  I see what the issue is and deal with it.  Then I thank her for letting me know something was wrong.

AMF All for One "Allie" (1/15/2010 - 3/25/22)

Color Print "Davis" (1/29/2009 - 2/24/19)

Craigie Skynyrd "Zipper"