Specific fears

Does anyone's dog have a specific fear? Stella is TERRIFIED of any ball bigger then a tennis ball It doesnt even have to be moving. If she sees it, she turns and will pull to go home and there is no talking her out of it. She is also afraid of the smell of smoke. When living in Alberta the summer wild fires would cause smoke smell for days and eventually she would get over it. She also doesn't like sounds that she can't identify where they came from. If she can see what made the sound, she is ok. Sometimes if she gets scared on a walk and wants to pull home I can cuddle her head and she will change her mind and be ok, but with the ball thing, no way, she has to go home immediately and we do it. Anyone else?

Grace is also scared of sounds she cannot see where they are coming from which is probably why she's frightened of fireworks. I was at a friends house with Grace and he put on a film which had a lot of loud bangs and crashes at the beginning. Grace stood up and started whining and getting agitated. Then she looked at the TV, worked out that was the source of the noise and laid back down.

She also doesn't like the sound of anyone playing football (soccer) and will strain on her lead to get away.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Kids bouncing basketballs terrified Mazy.    My mutt Pudge was only afraid of manhole covers swallowing her up.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Val is afraid of babies and small children. If we meet people pushing babies or walking toddlers on our walk she will hide behind me. I know now to cross the street. I had a cat who was terrified of the smell of smoke. If we grilled outside, she would hide in the closet all evening. Even snuffing a candle would freak her out.

Johnny hated the noise of small engines--lawn equipment, tractors, my mom's generator. Shivering, quivering mess.

Working K9 Sasha hated bicycles, moving or still. One time I could NOT get her to search a car due to bike on the rear rack. Occasionally old people with walkers or wheelchairs.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Lamb - fresh joints of or cooking. I was cooking with lamb about two weeks after we got Buddy and he bolted for the garden and wouldn’t come back in. When I tried to comfort him, he ran away and then hid behind Dan and wouldn’t let me near him - he did his best to keep Dan between us. It was only the next time I cooked with lamb and this odd behaviour surfaced again that I made the connection. I read around it a bit and it seems that it’s not that uncommon. Unfortunately Buddy hasn’t worked out that those fluffy white things in the fields that he wants to get in his teeth soooooooo much are the source of that terrible smell. If he ever got hold of one he’d be in for a shock!

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

OMG, the first time I gave Gino some lamb & rice canned dog food, I thought he was going to flip out. Johnny snarfed it down, I had to coax G out of the bedroom--and he is not one to ever turn down food. CANNED LAMB, who'd've thunk it??

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

21 minutes ago, palmettobug said:

OMG, the first time I gave Gino some lamb & rice canned dog food, I thought he was going to flip out. Johnny snarfed it down, I had to coax G out of the bedroom--and he is not one to ever turn down food. CANNED LAMB, who'd've thunk it??

I know! The look from Buddy said: ‘how could you?’ I learnt my lesson and lamb is currently off the menu in our house 🐑

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

Mine just seem to be afraid of nail clippers LOL

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

• 2 weeks later...

Simon is afraid of trailers, horses and motorcycles.:dunno Ben was terrified of hot air balloons. No idea how these fears manifested, but most are easy to alleviate if we see them first.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

K9 Sasha used to bark-bark at motorcycles, she was so funny getting all riled up in the truck when one passed us on the highway.