Olewo Carrots vs. Pumpkin Puree

smt

Would plain pumpkin puree serve the same purpose as Olewo Carrotts?  They both are mushy orange fiber, so it stands to reason that pumpkin should work as effectively to firm up stool as the OC, right?  And for those that swear by the carrots, is it feasible to make up a batch for 2-3 days worth of feeding?  One of the reasons I have avoided them is the prep work, but if I could prep for a few days, that would be more appealing.

Pumpkin can "backfire" on you. While it has helped some dogs, for my Gracie and Mazy it made their poop worse.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Pumpkin has made diarrhea worse when we've tried it.  The carrots never failed us.  

We used to just make a small bowlful  of the carrots (enough for 2 meals) each night.  Half went on breakfast and half went into dinner. 

If you are going to make a larger batch in advance you will need to refrigerate them to keep them from starting to mold. When I made them daily I could just let them sit on the counter, covered.  We also never bothered adding oil to it as it wasn't really needed. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

We also don’t use oil and our prep work involves boiling the kettle. If it’s the wait for the carrots to soften that makes you or your pup impatient, could you soak them before you go for your walk? Then they are ready to mix in when you get home. We’ve found that sweet potato mash has a similar firming effect for Buddy but I think it’s quite a bit more calorific so we only give it to him as a treat. And I’ve never seen that pre-prepared or in a tin.

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

15 hours ago, macoduck said:

Pumpkin can "backfire" on you. While it has helped some dogs, for my Gracie and Mazy it made their poop worse.

and the carrots did very little. vet check stool- can be giardiasis, colitis, worms. and i swear by CLAY- it's made by Vitamin RX, available on Amazon and does miracles. better than Tylan powder.

It varies from dog to dog. Pumpkin works for some, does nothing or makes it worse for others, you would just have to try and see. Val only has occasional bouts of diarrhea, the clay works best for her. For Fletcher, who had IBS, pumpkin was what worked, so you could try that first since it is cheaper and easier to find. However, when Rocket stayed with us I made up his carrots each evening for the next day, only took a minute, so the prep time isn't really a big deal.

We're firm (no pun intended) believers in the carrots. They have always worked quickly whereas pumpkin has been hit or miss. I agree that prep is not a big deal. I use a tea kettle too and make a batch that lasts a couple of days at a time (refrigerated). I do use a little coconut oil because supposedly it helps with absorption of Vitamin A (Olewo talks about it here). The oil separates and solidifies in the fridge, of course, but Sweep doesn't mind!

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

I tried the carrots last year for the first time and now give a tablespoon daily for the most pick-up-able poop ever.  The dogs seem to like it in the their dinner.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I have been a huge fan of Olewo Carrots for over 5 years. My hounds love it and their poops are so much firmer and easier to pick up. Pumpkin never really worked with my hounds. I recommend Olewo so much that the company gave me 50 pounds to use as samples. It is great to suggest this for new adopters. New hounds always seem to have soft poop issues.

One more vote for Olewo carrots. After trying everything and resorting to raw, I gave Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Salmon and Rice with Olewo carrots and hallelujah, decent poops. Still not as firm as raw, and usually one soft one (though not quite diarrhea) on longer walks but more than acceptable.  

My only fear it that availability in Canada seems to be through Amazon.ca only and can be intermittent. Anybody have other sources in Canada?

Edited by KickReturn

23 hours ago, KickReturn said:

One more vote for Olewo carrots. After trying everything and resorting to raw, I gave Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Salmon and Rice with Olewo carrots and hallelujah, decent poops. Still not as firm as raw, and usually one soft one (though not quite diarrhea) on longer walks but more than acceptable.  

My only fear it that availability in Canada seems to be through Amazon.ca only and can be intermittent. Anybody have other sources in Canada?

Maybe call or e-mail the distributer in the US and see if they have any suggestions. Hopefully Ina can help you.

love the carrots.  I make a big batch (like enough for 3 pint deli containers, packed full) and keep them frozen until I need a new container (keep the one I'm using refrigerated).

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I did not see the masterpiece with my own two eyes this morning, but I am here to report that Bette's poop was "as close to a 10 as it could be", according to her other mother.  This is after 2 meals (dinner last night and breakfast at the crack of dawn this morning) with the added magic carrots.  Thanks to all of you who endorsed these little orange pellets, and thanks Rachel for talking me through the ratio of carrots/hot water/coconut oil in order to make up a batch that will last all week.  For the record, that was 4 cups water/8 TBSP carrots/4 tsp coconut oil.  Plus, she loves them.  Of course, we have not found anything she doesn't love, yet.  Raw spinach, check.  Apples, check.  Rocks, check.  Sticks, check.  

Seems we have found our stride with nutrition: 1.5 cups PPP/SSS in the am and pm, with a tablespoon of carrots each meal, and a probiotic and glucosamine in the am.  Thanks everyone for your input.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI - I finally ordered and received my first shipment of Olewo carrots yesterday -- 1 lb bag @ $15.95 through Chewy. I believe it's the same price as through Amazon. Chewy also stocks the beets.

My now 10 y/o female (adopted at age 5) has ALWAYS had kinda soft-serve poo. I've tried all sorts of food, etc., but finally concluded she probably has nerve damage to some degree from her racing career. No worms, fecal clear. Post-adoption, she has continued to run like a maniac in the back yard; probably the most athletic of all the hounds that I have adopted. House zoomies.

While I generally add vegetables to my hounds' supper (i.e., frozen - no salt added; French green beans, a little kale, organic carrots, occasional teeny bit of broccoli), I'm going to give the Olewo Carrots a try.

Anyway, you can order the carrots through Chewy.

Edited by IndyandHollyluv