Benadril dosage; etc.

I have a foster who wants to go for a ride in the car, but stands and pants the whole time. He has also pooped a couple of times recently, even though I make sure he has gone just  before I leave.

I was thinking of trying some Benadril to take the edge off. What would the dosage be and how long does it usually take for effects to show up. Thanks. 

Willow( Hi Tech Popandgo ) CGC #31965 Calico Salad x MayPop 8-9-93/9-24-07 Austin( Nodak Austin ) #55202 Chrisse's Twelve x Lotsa Liz 2-25-96/2-15-05 Matt( Kelsos Metaphor ) #90695 Oswald Cobblepot x Kelso's Movita 8-10-00/2-28-14 Buddy (Aljo Class Act) #78137 Action By Design x Miss Classy 12-8-98/8-29-09 Sonny (Onaim Excalibur)#97927 Flying Train x Rough Diamond 9-7-01/1-9-2016Hunter (SS Snow Roll) #35135 Craigie Whistler x Lightning Snow 10-4-2005/9-23-17 Leo (Yolo Empleo)#72060 4-13-18 Fiesta Paraguas x Mega Bien Hecho

When we've used it in the past  for Rocket, the dosage has been 1mg per pound of body weight.  We usually gave it for ragweed allergies which required it to be given 2-3 times a day at that dosage. OTC tablets are usually 25mg if I'm remembering correctly. 

For anxiety with Petunia and Kate  we've had better luck with CBD oil than we did with Benadryl. Dosage will depend on the strength of the CBD oil, but usually we start with a dropper full squirted down the hatch and go from there until we determine if the storms are going to be long lasting or intense. Our vet has actually prescribed Xanax for the bad storms, but we usually start with calming treats and CBD first before resorting to the Xanax. 

We've also seen some calming results from Vetriscience Calming Treats when given prior to storms rolling in if you need some other options. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I tried max+ dosage on a hound (with vet's advice) -- up to 6!!! of the 25 mg capsules for a 90+ lb dog -- and it didn't make a dent in his anxiety.  Didn't even make him noticeably drowsy, and that was before he had a clue that the anxiety-provoking event (chiropractic adjustment) was in his near future.  If Benedryl is like most drugs, it should take 20-40 mins to take effect.  

Tried a non-drug approach to a hound who hated car rides.  She didn't poop, but she did throw up every single time, even on short rides.  She was VERY food motivated. Her reward for not throwing up was cookies.  We started with rewarding her just for getting in the car.  Cookie, and out.  Rinse and repeat.  Once she was eagerly hopping in the car, we advanced to giving her a cookie after we started the engine with her in the back seat.  Cookie and out.  Rinse and repeat.  Then backing down the driveway.  Then around the block.  Then going to a nearby park that she loved.  Cookie cookie cookie.  Rinse and repeat.  It only took a couple of weeks. She was never a car lover, but she was ok with it and never tossed her cookies again.  :)   

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter