Sign in to follow this  
mom2four

Starz Ambitious "Ambi" May 13, 2007-Jan 29, 2020

We lost our last remaining Greyhound, Ambi, yesterday.  He had been declining, but yet things transpired suddenly yesterday.

Ambi has been going downhill for the last year or so, losing muscle mass and weight. This process sped up as time went on.  In the last half year his lumbar stenosis started to become a factor as well. Since my Christmas break started on Dec 20, I had been helping Ambi up the 2.5 steps onto the deck and the other 2.5 steps into the porch.  I'd put his front feet on the top step and push his hind end up the steps. He began to expect that from me, it was probably much easier on his hind end. The bitter cold snap we had two weeks ago was very hard on Ambi, we could tell he was hurting, but I upped his metacam a little, which seemed to help.  But, remaining from this cold week was that his lumbar stenosis became much worse.  He was knuckling more and more with his hind feet.  

Yesterday morning, Ambi was there for his breakfast like he always was, still doing as well as he could be given the lumbar stenosis.  Then around 10 AM Michael called me that I needed to come home as Ambi was not doing well, he had struggled for half an hour to get up and finally did but he was "walking like a drunken sailor".  We have experienced this before, with both Diego and Tosca and knew that he had probably thrown a clot and had a lumbar stroke.  Michael and I (and the vet last week when we had been there with our Galgo Nei) had discussed that this would be one of the signs and a reason for us to put Ambi to sleep.  So that happened all of a sudden yesterday morning.  The photo below shows Ambi ten minutes before the vet came.  Ambi was still alert, there was nothing wrong with his mind, but we knew it was time for him.  We had called the vet just before noon and she said she and the tech could come out right away, they had a break in their day (lunch time!)  They came just before 1 PM and we all said goodbye, until we meet again to Ambi.  We made the right decision for him.

Our 9 Galgos were all aware what was happening, they were lying down so quietly in the kitchen (behind the gate we put up when we need it) while the vet was working on Ambi.  They were all very quiet last night, super quiet.  I have been looking after Ambi's potty needs when I was home and looked behind my chair where he slept a number of times last night seeing if he needed to go outside, but he wasn't there :( 

Godspeed Ambi, we will love you always.

No photo description available.

Edited by mom2four

Tin and Michael, Galgos: Lucas, Baltasar, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo and Salvo the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules and Marco.

I’m so sorry for your loss.

Jan with precious pups Katie Crazykatiebug, Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; and Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will heal and you will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Oh those eyes...  :brokenheart  :grouphug

Charlie the iggy, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella)
Angels: Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I am so very, very sorry :(:(  :cry1 :cry1

Kim, Bruce, Larry (PTL LaRoach) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It) - missing my sweet Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011) and Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Chester (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

{{{Tin and Michael}}} Your dear, sweet Ambi. Such a brave handsome boy. I’m so very sorry it was his time to start his next journey. My thoughts are with you both, and with the resident Galgos who are surely missing their friend. :grouphug

Godspeed Ambi. 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees: Aiden. Bea. Punkin. Annie. Miss M. Cletus, knot like the others.

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno.Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

My condolences on the passing of Ambi. Love the picture, such beautiful eyes.

Lexi (mom to Nok, the former feral black kitty)

Tin and Michael,  I'm so sorry you lost Ambi. What a beautiful face. It'll be hard to get past him not being there.

I'm so very sorry.

Godspeed Ambi.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13); Greys Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07), Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17)

:bighug Tin & Michael

Run fast & free, Ambi.

Go find Nixon, your brother from another mother.....

NSK-Winter.jpg.a6ea578c2e544932c5222b81cda3216d.jpg

Nancy...Mom to Nigel (Nigel) , Sid (Peteles Tiger) and Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos)Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie) and especially Ruby (Watch Me Dash) waiting at the Bridge.

Run free and healthy sweetie. It was an honor meeting you. 

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

That picture -- him looking up with so much love and trust on his face.  "I know you'll do the best for me."  (((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, Milo, and Jeter

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, and Nutmeg

I am so very sorry for your loss.

Irene Ullmann w/Shine and Odin in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul and Fuzzy
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

So sorry for your loss. What a beautiful face that is going to be so missed. Rest well Ambi.

Tin & Michael, I'm so sorry for your loss. He knew you'd do the best for him. 

My gosh, those eyes --- so like my Tick had. His sister from another mother. I hope he & Tick and Nixon are getting to know one another. 

Oh Ambi, we will miss you so. 

gallery_21421_3253_11008.jpg

Barb, Mom to Grey's Tickertape & Grey's McCarthy.
Always missing: Wizzie and Desi

I'm so sorry. 

Kendra, missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/7/04 - 2/20/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds,
    Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/16/03 - 10/29/14, who really knew what a good dog she was,
    and Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/13/10 - 1/31/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too.

I am so sorry.  My heart is breaking for you. What big beautiful eyes he had. I will never understand why dog's have such short life spans here on earth. My deepest sympathy.

:f_red:gh_run:f_red

It sounds very peaceful.  I'm so very, very sorry. :weep

9099320185_6dcf3804ca_o.jpg

Jackie with Tangerine and Dazzle

Always missing Gracie, Steely, Annie, Payne, Twilite, Janey Bug, Bindi, and Sophie