How big is your male hound?

fionasmom

I was browsing adoptable hounds for the group I adopted Maggie from. They have a male that is 102 pounds. My boy Andy was slightly under 90 pounds and I thought that was big. Is a 100 pound hound unusual?

He is only 2 years old so I am guessing he never raced. I am tempted to drive down with Maggie to see if she approves....

Sherman is 80 pounds and he is big to us.  I just love those big boys and would probably drive down there with Maggie!  

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Oh, I'd love to see him, too! Johnny was around 80, he was long and tall and sleek. Gino is about 70-75, he is not as tall, maybe as long, but much more "built"; his sire was an Irish greyhound.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

The largest we've had was a 98 lb medical foster.  He was *large* - but sooooo sweet!!!  Our biggest adopted boy hound was Copper - 85 lbs, and very tall.  But our largest greyhound is our current Lilly.  She is *very* big!!  Weighs about 90 (but feels best a couple lbs less), and she's 32 inches tall.  I think greyhounds that big are a rarity of either gender.  

I would be wondering if that 102 was a bit overweight, or if he's just really big???  But there's nothing sweeter or funner than a big, laid back boy hound!!!    :wub:

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Rocket was about 85 lbs in retirement weight. He was a big boy and loved food, but was not overweight. As much as I love my old broodies, this house is really missing having a big goofy boy in it. 

We're going to need pictures.....:D

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I am the champion of BIG boys.  The bigger they are the sweeter they are.
Racing weights -
Rex -77
Buck - 78
Buddy  -79
Harley - 84
They all evened out around 7 pounds over their racing weight.   I didn't have a dog door with Harley but he was just BIG.  I had to install a bigger dog door for him.
I wish I could remember the name f the female I adopted out.  She was almost as big as my guys and we called her Toni the pony.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Buddy is currently a little overweight at 81 lbs but even at 72 lbs (which is what he was when we brought him home, before ice cream, jam on toast, cake mix, fudge...etc) he seemed like a really big boy. He is just tall enough to nudge his nose onto the kitchen counter when I’m preparing food and it still delights me to see his big wet black snoot edging its way into the corner of my vision 😍

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

The first grey my husband and I met in real life was 105 lbs. He was right off the track. DH thought i was insane for suggesting we have a greyhound in our tiny Manhattan apartment if that's how big they were. :lol: At that same meet and greet was a 46 pound female,  plus every size in between, luckily.

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

My mom got quite the surprise the first time Johnny put his nose on the counter while she was cooking.:lol

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

John E was 93 lbs of skinny dog.  Fuzzy was 83 and Odin is 85.  Paul was a slight boy at 72 lbs but he was very long.  So there is about a 20 lb variation from the boys that we have had.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I've had pretty average weight greyhounds. My male were Hobbes at 73lbs, Wally was 68lbs and Cole is 70lbs. My 2 females were average too, both 60lbs. 

My heaviest foster was 90lbs, and he seemed huge to me. I had another foster that was straight off the track and quite lean who weighed 82lbs. He was much taller then the other one but a much different body structure. 

I couldn't even imagine 102lbs for a greyhound. 

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

Current purebred male is around 76 lbs; lurcher 66.  Two other males were in lower 70s.  And dear, dear Baz came to me at 92 lbs but then gradually lost as he got older to 88-89.  He was not overweight at 92; he was just a hair under 32" at the shoulder and when he walked by you, it took so long it felt like you were being passed by a battleship.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Ben weighed 60 pounds and Simon weighs about 60 pounds. They both raced at 64 pounds.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Our Sidney was only 72 pounds. I guess he was just a "medium" boy.

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

We dog sat for a boy that was nearly that big just off the track. He was built like a tank, could knock me over just leaning on me, and is the sweetest, goofiest, love ball I've ever met. Unusual yes, but not unheard of, and I really have a soft spot for the big boys.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

HOOORAY! We are so happy for you. 

1 hour ago, fionasmom said:

Well I guess I answered my own question. A 2:15 hr drive to Albany each way today with Maggie and now all 102 pounds of "Home Run Frank" is currently sprawled out in my living room. Will post in introductions tomorrow when I get a good photo and finalize a new name.

:yay

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

• 2 weeks later...