night pee

Hello,

We adopted a greyhound 5 months ago (2 years old) and had no night problems for the first month but since, we regularly find a pee in the morning around our dining table which is the only area he isn't allowed to go in when we are having meals.

We are walking him half an hour at 10h00 at night after his diner at 18h00 and stop the water availability after the walk so not sure why we are having a night pee. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Fabien

Hi Fabien,

Probably something you’ve already thought of, but when you clean up the pee are you using an ammonia free cleaner? Otherwise he might be marking over the top of it. Also, I’m not sure I would withdraw water from your pup overnight - it doesn’t seem to be improving the situation and really they should have access to water. 
Something else that has been mentioned in other posts is - could your boy be cold? If he’s waking in the night because of that, he might just decide to have a pee while he’s up anyway.
My experience is quite limited so maybe someone with more thoughts will chime in.
Edited by MerseyGrey
Hit enter without typing!

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

11 hours ago, MerseyGrey said:

Hi Fabien,

Probably something you’ve already thought of, but when you clean up the pee are you using an ammonia free cleaner? Otherwise he might be marking over the top of it. Also, I’m not sure I would withdraw water from your pup overnight - it doesn’t seem to be improving the situation and really they should have access to water. 
Something else that has been mentioned in other posts is - could your boy be cold? If he’s waking in the night because of that, he might just decide to have a pee while he’s up anyway.
My experience is quite limited so maybe someone with more thoughts will chime in.

I agree about withdrawing the water.
You can use a solution of biological wash powder to clean the area if you haven't got anything else.
And yes he could be cold or is something disturbing him? Is your heating coming on and the sound of the boiler (furnace) starting up wakes him?

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Have him checked for a UTI.  Do not withhold water. 

Make sure he has access to you so he can wake you up to let him pee outside.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Consider baby-gating him in your bedroom at night to reduce his free-roaming space. Hopefully, you'll be more likely to awaken if he begins walking around in need of a potty outing. If he's getting enough outings (e.g. at least 4-5 outings: every 4-5 hours throughout the daytime and evening), and is fully eliminating (without holding back a reserve in his tank for marking on walks), I echo above suggestions for a vet check for UTI, and please do not remove water.