Sprain injury from the track

Hi everyone!

We just adopted Remy (2 yr old male) last week. It's so good to have a greyhound in the house again after our Jax passed in May. <3 

Since we brought him home, he's been limping off and on on his front right foot, and the pain seems to mostly be from his wrist joint (we checked his paws -- no corns or anything stuck in them. He cries in pain though if you bend his wrist). The limp will occur towards the end of a walk or right after he gets up from his bed for a few seconds, but otherwise he walks/trots/plays with toys as normal. I took him to the vet and all of his x-rays were fine with no evidence of bony tumors or previously broken bones. The vet sent him home with some anti-inflammatories, and we've only been doing leash walks (no zoomies in the yard). It's only been a few days of the meds, so I'm not sure how much they've helped.

I got in touch with his adoption group and they reached out to his old handlers at the track. Turns out he had a bad sprain (no broken bones) while at the track, but the adoption group said they did not notice him limping while he was with them for a month before being adopted by us.

Is it normal to have a sprain injury that occurred a month+ ago still cause him pain? I'm worried he won't ever be able to run/play freely without it flaring up. The adoption group said they didn't notice him having any pain while he was with them or during his vet exam with them, so I'm also worried we are inadvertently doing something to make it flare up for him. Any advice on sprains?

DO1000008.jpg

Hi and congratulations! He is adorable!

As for your question: it's possible (in my opinion) if he never had time to rest it and let it heal. If he kept pushing it and playing, running around, etc then it could be a lingering injury until he has time to really let it heal. 

So I'd say keep up the leash walks and rest and anti-inflammatories. 

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

Soft tissue injuries can take a loooong time to heal, especially if they are not rested. Like, six weeks to two months minimum. I would keep him on restricted activity like you have been doing and the anti-inflammatory for a few more weeks, give it time to really heal. He is gorgeous :wub:

Hi, neighbor! (Another SEGA mom here.)

Yes, soft tissue injuries can linger. He also could be heading into arthritis issues. Our area has some vets experienced in hydrotherapy and rehabbing injuries. Give Remy some more time with leash-walking precautions. Then you might want to consult one of the rehab specialty offices.

I've got Q, a broken-hock boy. He arrived with x-rays, so I know what I've got. He's got a screw in his hock from January 2016. He limps, and I restrict his running, but he's happy to gallup up and down the hallway in my condo and he doesn't appear to be in pain. He's an incorrigible chicken, though, so he's not interested in running with the cheerleaders at Pope High School football games. (He's afraid of the tubas.)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

16 hours ago, Remolacha said:

Soft tissue injuries can take a loooong time to heal, especially if they are not rested. Like, six weeks to two months minimum. I would keep him on restricted activity like you have been doing and the anti-inflammatory for a few more weeks, give it time to really heal. He is gorgeous :wub:

Yup, do consult with your vet. Anti-inflammatories might be in order. Cute boy!!

What a gorgeous boy! 
I can’t give any advice about sprains or soft tissue injuries, but I can tell you that we use YuMove joint supplements for our 9 year old (have been using them for just over six months) and they have made a positive difference to his mobility. He still likes to have a zoomie and we found he would limp afterwards...but this has disappeared after using the YuMove. I was sceptical about them at first but I was amazed at how well he moved about after taking them.

Also...I’m certain you and your vet will have checked this over but Buddy went lame because of a nail. He broke it but it didn’t come off so we didn’t check it until we got him to the vet and the back of the car looked like a murder scene (he must have caught it climbing into the car 😬). Poor boy! It’s a shame he picked such slow humans!

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

He's such a beautiful boy!!! I have a soft spot for the black hounds :wub:

Hope he feels much better very soon!

Jackie with Tangerine and Chimes

Always missing Gracie, Steely, Annie, Payne, Twilite, Janey Bug, Bindi, Sophie, and Dazzle