Whining Greyhound

I have had my Greyhound for almost 5 years now. I'm having major issues with her, I have started spending the night at another house and taking her with me. She constantly keeps us up during the night and roams all night long. I even catch her in the trash in the middle of the night. Also I have started crating her recently and she absolutely flips put whining at the top of her lungs. She is as sweet as can be, but these issues are absolutely driving me insane. Any input or help would be greatly appreciated. 

Do you take her bed, toys etc with you? I think you need to go back to basics and introduce her into this new house the same way as you did when you first got her and got her used to your first house.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

It's big changes for her and she needs time to adjust.  You mentioned that you started crating her - if she hasn't been crated in a very long time it's hard for her.  Can you bring her bed and toys to the new house with her and keep her closed in the bedroom with you at night?  Are you just at the new house at night? If so, I'm wondering if you can spend some time there with her during the day as well - that may help her adjust.

10 hours ago, HeyRunDog said:

Do you take her bed, toys etc with you? I think you need to go back to basics and introduce her into this new house the same way as you did when you first got her and got her used to your first house.

6 hours ago, phall said:

It's big changes for her and she needs time to adjust.  You mentioned that you started crating her - if she hasn't been crated in a very long time it's hard for her.  Can you bring her bed and toys to the new house with her and keep her closed in the bedroom with you at night?  Are you just at the new house at night? If so, I'm wondering if you can spend some time there with her during the day as well - that may help her adjust.

^^^^

:nod  :nod  

Please be patient with her as she adjusts to this strange new routine.

Obviously she does not like the crate so why stress her out by putting her in it?

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Goodness!   She is not whining on purpose just to bother you!

She is obviously quite stressed about the new living arrangements.

Get a nice comfy dog bed for her.

Put it in your bedroom.  

Use a baby gate or X-Pen to block the bedroom door.

As well...Perhaps she is feeling a bit chilly...does she have a light sweater she can wear?

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

On 1/3/2020 at 7:44 PM, BatterseaBrindl said:

Goodness!   She is not whining on purpose just to bother you!

She is obviously quite stressed about the new living arrangements.

Get a nice comfy dog bed for her.

Put it in your bedroom.  

Use a baby gate or X-Pen to block the bedroom door.

As well...Perhaps she is feeling a bit chilly...does she have a light sweater she can wear?

Exactly and it's winter. Dogs usually are not out and about as much. Extra energy and winter boredom. How about a good swift 20 min walk at night?