Protective reaction

why does my hound sometimes when on lead growl & bark at other  greyhounds ? Yesterday met 2 greyhounds all on lead warned the owner she may react they sniffed & were  all calm & lovely then mine went back and was face to face with the other female and started to snarl I don’t get it ! I’ve changed my lead I have her next to me or behind she was perfect then she did this it’s so random I’ve been told many different reasons & tend to agree with the protection reaction off lead no problems social friendly perfect ,I’m at a loss to figure it out please help 

Happy new year! There is probably some dog psychology that explains this - maybe on the lead your dog feels less able to defend herself so she gets her growl/snap out before the other dog can, like a warning shot. Or she may just be letting the other dog know that she’s had enough interaction for now. However, you might just have a snarky dog and I wouldn’t worry too much as long as she doesn’t try to tear strips out of the other dog. 

What country do you live in and how long have you had your dog? These don’t make any difference to your dog’s behaviour but if you are letting your dog off lead you need to know what the laws are in case she goes for another dog (I’m speaking from experience).

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

Hi MerseyGrey and happy 2020 I’m in Australia I have only let my dog off lead  in off lead parks where she shows no reactive behaviours at all she only does this on lead I’ve been given a hemp mixture by a naturopathic vet but haven’t used it I think your right about her the fact she’s saying back off now and I need to just chill about it but it used to scare me as I never knew when it would happen I’ve had her 18 months she’s 4 yrs old did 50 races great around kids people etc just this one thing . We are at this time waiting for a park to be designated for greyhounds it has just passed that they can go off lead even though we were doing this prior but now don’t due to law . I know other greys do the same thing on lead & she is improving I think keeping the lead shorter has helped also . Thank you so much for your response it all helps me understand my dog and for ME to be less anxious also . 

I wonder if she's protecting you? When she's on her lead she's "on duty" and is protecting her pack leader but off lead it's play time. I used to have a Labrador and she would be one of the most friendly dogs going, both towards other dogs and humans, she was always off her lead when walking and would walk to heel. But if I stopped for a sit down on a bench she became very protective and would bark and growl if anything came within 6 feet of us.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Yes I think that’s it the vet asked where she walked I said infront he said she’s protecting you get her next to you or behind which she does well now  I think my mistake was letting her go back up to the other dog after they’d sniffed etc she was in front of me when she went back to the other dog it’s funny if I walk her with the dog she growls at she’s fine it’s standing face to face & it’s usually only at other greys I’m just trying to work it out I’m sure it’s a simple fix I just have to work out what I’m doing wrong ?? It makes walks a little unpredictable I know other greys like her but if I can prevent it I’d be happy as off lead she’s fine & very social & at present it’s against the law to have greyhounds off lead here 

Hi Phillipa. In short - your dog needed more personal space in that situation. Reactivity is fairly normal dog behaviour so don't be disheartened about walks, but, it does mean your grey can be uncomfortable/uneasy about being in close proximity to other dogs while on leash. Off leash, your dog can create it's own appropriate personal space. Greys often don't give much away about how they're travelling, but the growl is a clear sign that it needed more distance in that moment. Hope you've been safe from the bush fires down south (I'm near Brisbane). Cheers. :) PS. I personally only take my grey into a dog park if it's empty.

Thank you so much I just need to hear that it’s normal she’s such a gentle sweet dog apart from this random behaviour I always tell people she may react so if your dog doesn’t want to be scared stay away some owners are great & give her time & walk along with her others look at me like I have a bad dog which upsets me I know it shouldn’t I’m working on it I really appreciate any communication n sense input . We have fires here the next week is going to be testing We are safe thank you & I hope you are too