What to Do First Days, Weeks of Adoption?

Hi Friends and All-Knowing Grey Owners,

I am well on my way to adopting my first (retired racer) grey (and first dog ever), and I'm feeling all the feelings, but most of all, I am anxious and eager to make sure I start off on the right foot to integrate a new dog.  I've tried to read all the articles out there and watch all the videos possible on introducing a new dog, but I was getting overwhelmed with all the things to do.  Focus on separation anxiety first? Focus on "leave it" in the first weeks?  Figuring out whether they have the propensity to chew furniture, etc.?  My fear is that I'll bring the dog home, sit down and just stare at it thinking, "Now what?"

I think once I get a sketch of what the first few days should look like, I think can take it from there, but I think I am starting to be almost paralyzed with the amount of information out there about integrating a new dog, nonetheless a retired racing grey.  I know I can't plan out the first few days or weeks down to the minute, but I am looking to hear from others on what you did the first day, and what you focused on the first few days/weeks of bringing your dog into your home? Anything you regret or things you are glad you did when bringing home your grey?

(If it helps, I live in a major city, smaller apartment, no car, no other pets, no children in the home, and I do work long hours, so I know separation anxiety training will be an important focus of the first few days.)

First RELAX!

When you get home take it to where he/she will usually pee and poop and wait for it to do so. Then walk it round your apartment so it knows where the water and food bowls are, where it's bed is etc. Then just let it do what ever it wants, don't force it to do anything. Let it get used to the new surroundings. It's just been dumped in a foreign country, not knowing the language with a strange person.  Grace just lay down in a corner for the first few hours and ignored me for the first couple of days, apart from feeding time :D

Don't expect your new companion to have separation anxiety. The majority don't have major issues with it. They just need to get used to the idea that you will be coming back and then will spend the day sleeping.

Don't let it do anything you don't want it to no matter how cute it seems at the time. If you don't want it in your bedroom don't let it in. If you don't want it begging when you're eating or preparing food don't feed it from your plate or counter, instead put the food in it's bowl after you've finished.

You didn't say if you're getting a male or female. Might I suggest, as you're leaving it alone for some time, a female as they seem to be able to hold it for longer without a bathroom break.

And once again RELAX

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Yes, first of all, try to relax! Hard, I know :D The dog you bring home will probably not the dog you see in six months. She/he will probably be pretty quiet, maybe not very responsive to you, trying to take in all the new things. Don't worry, you haven't adopted a dog who hates you :lol Most don't have separation anxiety, you may have to deal with a few "accidents" as she/he gets used to your schedule. Really, they are all individuals, and it will be easier when the dog is in your apartment and you can ask specific questions. Good luck and have fun!

I'm not an expert, but can share my experience with 2 that we have adopted and several that we have fostered:

• If they are very picky eaters or perhaps even do not eat the first couple of days, try not to freak out (like I did).  Eventually they all start to eat.  They will not voluntarily starve themselves to death.
  • I am an advocate of letting them sleep in the bedroom with me.  In fact, until I felt semi confident that they could be trusted in the bedroom, I put the dog bed right beside me on the floor, and "gated" the area around it so that she could not roam the bedroom.  I did this for maybe 3 nights until I trusted she could hold her bladder throughout the night.
  • Take them out frequently the first few days/weeks.  Make sure they have PLENTY of opportunities to pee/poop so that the opportunity for an accident in the house are decreased.  Get some Natures Miracle just in case there is an accident.
  • Keep poop bags with you when you take them out and ALWAYS pick up poop.  Chances are you will get a dog who has the dreaded hookworms, and they eggs are passed into the environment via the stool. Since these hooks are resistant to a lot of drugs, we want to decrease the odds that other animals or wildlife come in contact with the eggs/larvea.
  • Don't be alarmed if there is some barking or whining when you leave them alone at first.  Start by leaving them for shorter periods if possible.  We typically get dogs on a Saturday.  On Sunday, we put them in the crate and leave them for 10-15 minutes in the morring, then increase that in the afternoon.  We try to plan it so that one of us can be around more during he first week so that we are gradually building up the time they are alone in the crate.  We use the crate to make sure they are not destructive when left alone.  It reduces our anxiety tremendously to know that our brand new dog is not chewing up our furniture or having accidents all over the rugs or hardwoods.  We have had 2 dogs with SA and it is NOT PRETTY.  But we were told by our group that whining and barking is normal until they come to trust that they are safe and you will return, and that as long as they are not destructive in or soiling the crate, to not worry about it.  We did get these and give our girl 2 an hour before we leave, just to play it safe and ease the transition.  We have been using them for about a month and it may be placebo, but her barking really reduced once we started using these treats.
  • Get a raincoat for your dog.  And if you are in a cold climate, also a warmer coat for when it is super cold.

Im sure there is more, but the rain is coming and we have to get the pups our for their morning walk or there will be mutiny.

Hi there!

I was in exactly the same boat as you a few weeks ago. I just adopted Missy yesterday. She has been doing well with most things, except she refuses to go in her crate (I've heard some dogs just don't like them), and she is very fearful about going down my apartment stairs. If your apartment is not on the 1st floor,  and there is no elevator, I recommend that that is one of the first things you focus on. She has only peed once today, and unfortunately, it was in my apartment. I worry for her, but I have a trainer who has worked with greyhounds coming to help us tomorrow. We have been doing alone training in the apartment today and she hasn't shown signs of separation anxiety so far. I even squeezed in a trip to my grocery store, and she was asleep when I got back. Yesterday, we went on a long walk, and then she explored the apartment with her leash on. Then, she ate dinner. After that, we went out so Missy could use the bathroom again, and we came in and she played with some toys. Since she will not go into her crate, I was okay with her sleeping on a blanket in front of it, and she slept well. Missy did get up a few times to make sure I was still there, and to readjust her position, but otherwise, she didn't make a peep. 

This is a general guideline how dogs settle into a new home

No photo description available.

Edited by BatterseaBrindl

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

My advice is to make sure that first day is calm.  Don't have neighbors/friends over to see your new family member--they can wait a few days.  You should first concentrate on housetraining.  Take her out every 1-2 hours to where you want her to go.  When she does her business, praise her like she is the best dog ever (of course she is). Watch her closely (some people attach the leash to their waist) when she starts to act like she might need to go (circling, looking uncomfortable) get her out to her bathroom area.  If she starts to go in the house,, give a sharp "no" and take her immediately outside (don't take time to put on your jacket, etc).

Beyond housebreaking, I wouldn't push her to do anything she doesn't want to do on these first days.  She may want to go for a walk, or she may be terrified of the big world out there.  Don't stress about it.  You just want her to get relaxed in her new home. (Hint: I never walk a new dog along a busy road for at least a month.)

As others have said, RELAX.  You will not break your dog.

I've owned 5 greyhounds over the last 12 years and fostered 17 straight off the track within the last 2.

Most important thing is Relax. If you're stressed and anxious they will be too.

When you first bring your dog home make sure it eliminates before going inside the apartment. Once you bring the dog in, keep it leashed to initially explore around the apartment( first 10 minutes or so). If you have a male watch for signs they may mark on furniture. (Sniffing a spot and then going to lift a leg). If you see it, say No and move the dog away and outside. From personal experience it only usually takes a couple days for them to figure out house breaking as long as you set them up for success. In the beginning I do a lot of short bathroom breaks. They go out a lot more frequently then I would an established hound. They go out pretty much any time they've been sleeping and then get up or if I notice any pacing. Always praise for doing their business outside. Utalize the crate if you can't actively watch them. Most greyhounds will not ask to go out when they need to, as they've never been required to. 

Pacing, whining, panting and not settling down to sleep is very common and normal the first day or two. I'd say the vast majority of the fosters I had wouldn't lay down initially until put in the crate, also expect some noise and whining the first couple nights. If you adopt a dog that is fostered already they probably will be far more comfortable in the home environment then a dog straight off the track.

Keep walks really short and try to keep to quieter areas at first. Less is more in the beginning. I've often seen with new adopters, that they will bring the dog all over the first couple days, so impressed how their brand new dog is handling city life. Then two to three days later they can't get the dog to leave the apartment and can't understand what happened. Simply the dog was overwhelmed and once they figure out what will happen once they go out, they put the breaks on.   

On that note don't overwhelm the dog inside either. Let sleeping dogs lie, as the saying goes, let it come to you for affection. Go about your normal routine as best you can and give the dog space to just figure things out on its own. Some will be velcro hounds that follow you everywhere  and then some hide out in the crate and want nothing to do with you and then there everything in the middle of that. All will settle with time and patience. 

Everyone's day will be different but this is basic routine, obviously you'd adjust it for your schedule and your dogs needs. Get up, go outside with dog to potty right away, feed breakfast, get ready for the day, potty/walk again, go to work, (possibly use a dog walker midday if long work day), potty break/walk when you get home, feed dinner, potty break/short walk before bed. 

The majority of greyhounds don't have SA. If you do have a long work day it's something you should discuss with your adoption group so they can find you a dog that is more comfortable being alone from the start. To help a dog out though have lots of comings and goings in the beginning and don't make any fuss about it. I've found just jumping in to my regular routine works best although I know a lot of people like to take off the first few days to week to get the dog adjusted to home too. I will say it's easier for me as I have two resident greyhounds that show the fosters the ropes and also just the familiarity of another greyhound being around helps with the transition to home life. 

Good luck and do post when you get your hound :)

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna