Baby Grey Growls for Space

Hi! I am reaching out regarding my newly-adopted, 2-year-old grey, Pharaoh. My SO and I have had him for about three weeks and so far, he has adjusted very well (super friendly with other dogs and people, no separation anxiety *so far*, a good appetite, non-destructive, a happy demeanor, etc.). We adore him (see attached, what a cutie). However, while he has become comfortable joining us on the living room couch and on our bed, he has recently demonstrated that he does not like to share the space. The first time we noticed this behavior, Pharaoh had laid down next to me on the couch (head facing me), and I began to pet him behind his ears (his favorite) when he swiftly lifted his head and emitted a growl in my direction. Before I could decide what to do, he removed himself from the couch and went to his crate. Then, a few days ago, while laying at the foot of my bed, Pharaoh similarly growled when I stretched my legs toward him. There have been other instances, all involving the shared space of the couch or my bed. When this happens, I am unsure as to whether I need to yield the space or revoke couch / bed privileges. I want Pharaoh to become comfortable with us as and really don't want to cause any feelings of mistrust, fear, or harm. 

Two interesting points: 

1) He has never growled at me when I pet him or approach him while he is laying on his OWN bed(s) - the bed in his crate and the bed we have provided for him in the living room next to the couch. On the contrary, he seems to enjoy pets and belly rubs while in these spaces.

2) He has been wide awake each time this has happened - never asleep. 

What is the best course of action? It is early and I know that it will take time for him to become truly comfortable with us, but I want to reach out while this is new. I want to respect Pharaoh's space and share, but also be assertive of my own space. I previously owned a grey (sadly passed away two years ago) who was the biggest snuggler from day one and wanted to share all the spaces - never exhibited any kind of aggression - so I feel inexperienced with this sort of behavior. Any advice is appreciated, thank you all so much! 

59812929320__E5DA5310-23E1-4306-A44A-AE9E4E7525E9.jpeg

59829705521__8F667D21-1035-48C8-BBA1-FDF09BC6B5A8.jpeg

"yield the space or revoke couch / bed privileges"   Why not both? In the moment, respect his warning growl (possibly tell him "thank you" for the warning) and give the immediate space he seeks. For the longer term, cut out the sleeping/resting on furniture for now. My Max never gets up on furniture, except for the 30 or so times on the first day while I calmly redirected him to his own comfy bed those 30 times. No fuss no muss, just calmly showing him the rules and routines in my house. I figure that's fair because he has about five of his own beds to choose from. When he's on his bed, it's best to respect his personal space. Peace. 

Interesting.  I've not heard of this being an issue in one so young, but it *is* a common behavioral issue with greyhounds.  Setting boundaries will not damage his psyche, and will be better for him in then long run.  Revoke furniture and bed priviledges until you have established a level of trust.  You just have to be firm and consistent.  If he likes his crate, send him there, or establish a bed in each room to re-direct him to as necessary.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

The first time Grace growled at me because I dared to invade her space on MY couch I growled back  deeper, louder and longer :angry: The look on her face was priceless and she didn't do it again.:D

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time