How do I get my Greyhound to move?

Hi guys, newbie here.  I adopted just three days ago, and finding help with this issue has been darn near impossible online.  I don't think the verbal advice has been the greatest from the adoption agency or fosters either, so here's what's going on:

I have an 8-year-old former racer.  I rent a basement right now, and use the walkout slider to go in and out with her.  Backyard is fully-privacy fenced.  She definitely knows where the gate is.  The problem is that when we are done with our walk she just freezes in the driveway and wont return to the back yard.  A couple times I've gotten her 10 feet from the gate and she just wont go further.  I don't want to push her the rest of the way anymore for obvious reasons, and I'm not thrilled about having to carry her to the gate from the driveway.  Is there any way I can fast-track her adjustment to this new situation?  Not sure she has fully realized where "home" is.

Thanks so much

Elliot K

P.S. One recommendation was to get a harness and to lift her using the straps on it so I have control over the front of her body.  Still, I'd rather she just be comfortable going through the gate.  Other doors are not an option as we have crazy stairs leading to my living area.

P.S.S.  I am the rookiest of all rookie dogs owners.  Going bold with the racer as the first one.

Edited by Gopherhawk

Hello and congratulations on your first dog! You’ve made an excellent choice! I’m not sure what a walkout slider is...but is there any other way to get your girl in and out of your place without going through the back garden until she becomes more familiar with her surroundings? Or can you start your walks there for a while and do fun things in the garden (treats, toys cuddles etc) so she doesn’t find it so intimidating? Above all, give her a little time to settle in as she’s going through a big change right now. We use a harness for our boy (nine years old, had him for 18 months) but while I would use it to extract him from certain situations, I wouldn't use it if he was fearful in a situation. 

We haven’t really had this issue with Buddy but there are lots of people with far more experience than me and who are much more knowledgable about behaviour - yours and your dog’s! Be patient and give her time. Good luck!

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

Greyhounds are contrary dogs who need time to adjust from life on the track and in kennels to a loving domestic home. sometimes what they will do one day they won't do the next. You will find their personality can take a year to 18 months to develop so enjoy the ride. :D

If you search for greyhound freezing you will find several solutions, its just a matter of finding one that works. The one that worked for my Grace, as even high value treats didn't work, was to put two fingers through her collar and using the same action as if I was going to bowl her move her and myself forward with the command "Let's Go" It's the same action as they use to put the hounds in the traps before a race.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time