Dry food

I am wondering what everyone is feeding their greyhounds. My greyhounds are currently on  natural balance limited ingredient diet and I keep hearing these horror stories on the dog food and the heart disease that grain free food is causing. I have been asking my vet if I should take them off it but he keeps saying don't worry about it. I wanted to have a taurine test done on my grey but the cost is over 300.00 to get it done. Should I be taking my greys off the grain free food? If yes, what is everyone feeding their greys?

I am feeding Fromm brand grain inclusive. Jenny loves it and is doing well on it.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Sadly, one of my girls has DCM.  I fed grain free for years.  The World Small Animal Veterinary Assoc. recommends Merrick, Fromm, Royal Canin, Hills/Science Diet, and Purina. Among other reasons, they test before, during and after production, have single sources, and have vet. nutritionists on staff. I feed Purina, because that's what my budget can handle for 3 greys.  She will celebrate her birthday next week, and we will celebrate for 2 reasons: That she is still with me after a year and a half, and she will be my second grey (out of 10) who has made it to 11!

purina pro plan focus- salmon and rice or chicken. this was suggested by a friend who is a vet- i have stopped using supplements for coats since changing over. reduced stool and i can feed less. my friend also saw a marked change in her senior GH when she served bright minds by purina. the professional handler who i got my whippet from served pro plan sport- but unless your dog is super active it's not necessary.

We use Pro Plan Sensitive Stomach here.

Many (many many) people will tell you that nothing's been proven yet.  That's there's no evidence of a problem that can be linked to the food.  That it's all breeds that suffer from genetic suseptibility to DCM.  That whatever and blah blah blah.  And it's mostly true - the FDA has *not yet* found the actual mechanism that is causing dogs who are fed grain free diets to develop DCM. 

But the evidence is strong enough that continuing to feed a grain free diet is playing russian roulette with your dog's health.  Just the fact that diagnosed dogs almost immediately and (sometimes) completely, get better when they are switched off of grain free is enough for me.  Dog's of every breed and size and condition and health have died horrible deaths from heart failure.  I will NOT have my dog be one of them when a simple food switch can mitigate the issue entirely.

Grain free is a fad diet anyway - there's no evidence it helps dogs in any way - and even wild canids end up eating grains and greens from the stomachs of their prey, so they aren't grain free either.  :rolleyes: 

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I had been feeding mine Taste of the Wild Roasted Smoked Salmon - grain-free.  My vet told me last week to switch to a food with grain in it as they now have 3 dogs in the practice with

DCM.  I just switched to Taste of Wild Roasted Smoked Salmon - Ancient Grain.  They adjusted to it quickly. 

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.

Just curious, does anyone feed Kirklands Lamb and Rice, and if so, what is your review?  We are switching our girl from the adoption group kibble, and went with Kirklands Land R for reasons of cost, good reviews, and a Costco is just down the street from work.  Now I am wondering if I should return the bag and switch her to Purina Pro Plan, given all the love it is getting in this thread.  She is only on day 2 of the switchover, so it would be easy to halt the Kirkland's and switch her over to Purina Pro Plan.

Many greyhounds do well on the Kirkland brand foods - just make sure they are not the grain free varieties.  The L&R should be fine.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

6 hours ago, smt said:

Just curious, does anyone feed Kirklands Lamb and Rice, and if so, what is your review?  We are switching our girl from the adoption group kibble, and went with Kirklands Land R for reasons of cost, good reviews, and a Costco is just down the street from work.  Now I am wondering if I should return the bag and switch her to Purina Pro Plan, given all the love it is getting in this thread.  She is only on day 2 of the switchover, so it would be easy to halt the Kirkland's and switch her over to Purina Pro Plan.

Each and every dog I tried Kirkland lamb and rice had the runs! Some people are pleased, I say bring it back(Costco is great about returns) and try the Purina. Less stool, better coats, readily available.

Kirkland is made by diamond foods.many adoption groups use it due to it's  price.

Edited by cleptogrey

On 12/18/2019 at 8:05 AM, oldrunners said:

Sadly, one of my girls has DCM.  I fed grain free for years.  The World Small Animal Veterinary Assoc. recommends Merrick, Fromm, Royal Canin, Hills/Science Diet, and Purina. Among other reasons, they test before, during and after production, have single sources, and have vet. nutritionists on staff. I feed Purina, because that's what my budget can handle for 3 greys.  She will celebrate her birthday next week, and we will celebrate for 2 reasons: That she is still with me after a year and a half, and she will be my second grey (out of 10) who has made it to 11!

Early birthday greeting from Odin and Shine.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds