Greyhound turned destructive

We’ve had our lovely Fred now for nearly 5 months. He’s a rescue ex racer and he’s adjusted super well to his new surroundings. 

When first being left on his own, we watched him on the camera and he would pace and look for us. We did notice he’d scratched the door a tad but he soon grew out of that. Often we will look on the camera and he’s snoozing away. At the longest, he’s probably left for 4 hours - and that’s when me and my partner are both out at work. I’m a freelancer, so I am lucky to work from home, or only be gone for around 4 hours. During the work day, he is given plenty of walks when one of us is on lunch or a break.

So last week, he was left for around 3 hours and he completely chewed our door frame. Obviously we were shocked because he’s been so so good! We thought it may have been a one off, but everyday since he’s chewed something when we’re out. He even manages to open our sliding wardrobe and takes the clothes off the hanger? He will jump up on counters and try to grab anything.

He’s a super happy grey, really energetic and loves a cuddle and it’s breaking my heart he’s going through this. He will never do this when we are home. He gets 3/4 walks a day so it shouldn’t be that he needs to burn energy.

We’ve tried the radio and a plug in calming defusing for dogs. We also got a last minute behavioural therapist in who has said it’s isolation anxiety and could be a noise outside that’s triggered this. The behavioural therapist has Suggested a kong,  a box full of toys and treats which we have done and nothing is working, he does destroy the box, so he must focus spending some time on it. He’s also suggested diet changes, and crating and basically retraining him to be ok on his own again.

Ive called the vets and they’ve suggested a different behavioural therapist which I’ve called to arrange a meeting.

When I came in this morning our hallway bench was destroyed and it’s so upsetting. Obviously all these things are replaceable but it’s still our home and knowing Fred is unhappy breaks our heart. Has anyone experienced this and how did you over come it? We feel really helpless right now and we feel like we can’t leave him for fear of what he will do.

my next steps will be to try a crate, but leave it open for him. The guy from the adoption centre recommended muzzeling him, but I just feel like that would make him go even more crazy! 

Attached pictures of damage and of our lovely Fred! I’d love some advice. 

Just to note we live on a ground floor apartment, which we let him have the run of.

Any advice would be so much appreciated :) 

042CA35D-4F33-4649-900D-2DED649B9EE0.jpeg

CFB96BA5-EE42-44B4-9920-59BD11B280F5.jpeg

095FBD4A-BDCD-4868-A818-EDE62870CA5C.jpeg

540B48A5-1396-4892-8D4A-9EB255BF5F30.jpeg

D82AF548-B3C4-4F90-8964-928E3C2B4991.jpeg

C11F4AC2-BD32-44AA-9E0A-159B99623D22.jpeg

Why do you feel that muzzling will make him worse? I think you should try it. If he's kept from this chewing behavior, he might be calmer and happier.

EDIT: He seems to have a wide range of chewing interests, but you might also consider spraying bitter apple or similar on his preferred targets. That's worked for me, but I feel like yours might just chew other things.

Edited by stevevt

Our Greyhounds are muzzled whenever we're not home..... anywhere from 1 to 6 hours. 

I'm sure others will chime in and agree that it is not cruel. Ours never fuss about getting them on. 

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I have a anxious destroyer--his last time was when I went out with my mom, leaving him with his sister at my Mom's house. He got his muzzle off, tore up a venetian blind, and soiled on the floor. He's fine with me leaving him at my home all day with his sister, just something like that can push him over the edge.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Might be totally wide of the mark but what percentage of protein is in his food? I just wonder because pet greys should only have about 20% protein any higher could make them more "active" and needing to burn off the excess energy as well as damaging them healthwise.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

behaviorist, exercise, exercise, exercise, obedience classes to keep his mind active and daily practice of lessons.

the destruction looks like my friend's late dog who even when left with her room mate's dog destruction still occurred. when she muzzled her dog the muzzle was used the muzzle  to break the window- there was a blood bath!  yup, her dog broke windows, opened locks(hence the use of a muzzle), destroyed banisters and ripped crates apart. hopefully you won't have to deal with this.  finally a door slammed shut and locked her dog in a room on the 2nd floor- she jumped out the window- yes, survived. 

her dog used to stay at my house when i was home and hang with my laid back female grey. and i used to retrieve her dog when she wanders the streets of her neighborhood. i wonder if the honeymoon is over and your dog needs a home with a couple of dogs so he can join their pack? i don't want to sound like a pessimist but this is what occurred w/ my friend's late girl and i was actively involved.

19 hours ago, BatterseaBrindl said:

Our Greyhounds are muzzled whenever we're not home..... anywhere from 1 to 6 hours. 

I'm sure others will chime in and agree that it is not cruel. Ours never fuss about getting them on. 

Did they initially resist the muzzle (rubbing against walls, pawing at it, etc.)?  And if so, how long before they just accepted that they were going to be muzzled when alone?  I know there are these little attachments that secure the muzzle.  I think they are called muzzle keepers.  Do you use those?  They are sold by GEM, so I assume are GH safe.

Mine have always been easy to muzzle. We do give them a small cookie prior to putting the muzzle on.

No, they don't try and rub it off.

Yes, you can get little straps to hold the muzzle to their tag collar.  You could use a small piece of velcro.

Our guys all came with a muzzle...The same ones from GEM.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg