Helpful Hounds

All of our hounds are generally helpful with holding down the sofa, keeping dogbeds from being stolen, and general supervisory duties in the kitchen and yard.  But some go above and beyond, and are helpful in special ways.  Examples:

1. Jeter's food station is in a busy place in the kitchen, and sometimes I have to move past him during the 30 seconds it takes him to suction up his meals.  Jeter has developed a talent for swiveling in whatever direction I need, snout still buried in the food bowl.  Most times I don't even need to ask -- he has eyes in the back of his head and pivots in the exact direction I need.  Unlike Milo, who practically has to be bulldozed out of the way while he is Attending to Important Food Business.
  2. Dear Bazzy was very tall and had a very big head with a very long snout.  To keep me from having to bend over to slip his walking collar on, he always lifted his nose high in the air so I could easily slide it over his head.   How I loved to see his bright, sparkling eyes and smile, so so happy to go for a walk.  Unlike Milo, who ducks his chin and backs up, even though he loves going out.  And Jeter, who jumps around so excitedly it's like trying to hit a moving target.  

What helpful attributes do your pets have?  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Kate washes the dishes of every dog here when we have guests.  If we have no guests, she tries to clean Petunia's dish while Petunia is still using it. She's a great little helper. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Our dogs have taken up the mantel of Customs Inspectors!  Every sack and bag and tote that comes into the house has to undergo a series of thorough inspections of all contents!  Particular items get confiscated immediately (toys, treats, sandwiches), while other items (cans, flowers, mail) get passed without comment!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I love your description of Bazzy :wub:

Landskapers, postil inspektors, Soos Chef, groshery inspektor, indoor flying berd kapterer, vegimabel  prepper...

Therapy doggo :heart 

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Crumb vacuumer. :nod Grocery and box inspector for sure. Window snartist. Welcome committee. Schedule keeper (she always knows what time it is!).

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Bathroom assistant.  In Jenny’s mind, I am incapable of bathing or completing bodily functions without her assistance. 

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Grustoms Check, per Richard Skipworth!

The bathroom following is to make sure you don't fall in the toilet. The cats make sure I don't go down the tub drain.

Driving assistant--must snark at least ONCE at your sister COS MOM SHE'S TOUCHIN ME!!! and scare you so you don't fall asleep at the wheel. Barking and whining are optional.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Linus makes himself very helpful by ensuring no styrofoam container is ever abandoned on the kitchen counter. He will chew his way thru in numerous spots and then deposit the mess on the kitchen floor. He receives extra helpfulness points if little shards of styrofoam are scattered hither thither and yon. 

They both are devoted to their duty of holding down the toilet seat lid whilst either of us are showering. That way they are at the perfect height to be groomed. Doesn't everyone keep an assortment of cat brushes on the back of the toilet??

Linus also patrols the well being of the showerer from between the shower curtain and the liner. But then he's "special" anyway. 

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

Ivy is our front porch package delivery notification hound and  doorbell alert hound.  Both of these lead to excited barking.

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

Buddy shreds our confidential paperwork. And leaflets from the letterbox. And statements. And periodicals. And cereal boxes. And the money that the guy who rents a garage from us dropped through the door. He was very useful in the run up to our election this week as we decided to vote party with the only election leaflet he didn’t chew to pieces. 

He thereby also provides me with exercise as I follow him around picking up after him :rolleyes:

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

Ever Helpful Hounds, LLC
Available Services:
1) Vermin Control using non-chemical methods such as the swift disposal of any cat food not consumed with alacrity, diligent post-meal dish pre-rinsing (to include dishes located on counters, in dishwasher, and on tables), the removal of comestibles from all accessible open surfaces, and removal of any and all spill residue from hard surface flooring and carpeted surfaces. 
2) Portion Control Enforcement Services--perfect for the dieter with failing willpower!  Holiday Season volume discounts available.  Call Nate for details.
3) Bed Warming Service--You too may climb into a toasty warm bed! Please select whether you wish to have warm shoulders or warm feet. The services of 2 or more hounds required to ensure entire sleeping surface is warmed. Turn Down Service offered free of charge.
4) Wake Up Service--offered 7 Days per Week at 6:00 AM sharp.  Sorry, the time of your wake up call is NOT variable.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Grace makes sure the sofa meets the C.O.U.C.H standards. (Comfort and Oppertunity for the Untroubled Catnapping of Hounds)

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

On 12/13/2019 at 7:36 AM, Remolacha said:

You forgot trash emptier :lol

She hasn't figured out the new trash can although she watches intently every time we put something in it. So far we haven't had to use the lid lock on it. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Yes, Gino is our timekeeper! Time to get up, time for outs, time for dinner, time for snax...

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Amelia and Carmen BOTH make sure we do NOT oversleep. 

They now "know" a few minutes before the alarm goes off and start to attack us on the bed. 

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

On 12/15/2019 at 8:54 AM, LBass said:

Ever Helpful Hounds, LLC
Available Services:
1) Vermin Control using non-chemical methods such as the swift disposal of any cat food not consumed with alacrity, diligent post-meal dish pre-rinsing (to include dishes located on counters, in dishwasher, and on tables), the removal of comestibles from all accessible open surfaces, and removal of any and all spill residue from hard surface flooring and carpeted surfaces. 
2) Portion Control Enforcement Services--perfect for the dieter with failing willpower!  Holiday Season volume discounts available.  Call Nate for details.
3) Bed Warming Service--You too may climb into a toasty warm bed! Please select whether you wish to have warm shoulders or warm feet. The services of 2 or more hounds required to ensure entire sleeping surface is warmed. Turn Down Service offered free of charge.
4) Wake Up Service--offered 7 Days per Week at 6:00 AM sharp.  Sorry, the time of your wake up call is NOT variable.

:rofl 

Mercury is happy to rid the world of any butter lying dangerously close to the edge of the table.

gallery_27202_3534_9390.jpg

Momma to Jupiter.  Mummy to my Bridge Angels, Mercury and Liberty, the world's best blackngreylabhound

Not sure what she will do when I retire in February.😎

Oh, Trolley won't have any problem at all.  You might, however.   

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter