Betty is now having neuro issues.

In early November, Betty, my 5 y.o. started licking her hind end and making a twerking movement. This only lasted for a day or two but I was told that it could be an anal sac issue. She then started with sneezing and wheezing ( reverse sneezing). She still had a good appetite and no problems voiding or pooping. Finally was able to see vet right before Thanksgiving. Everything checked out and they thought it was allergies. She seemed to be doing okay until this past week her appetite decreased, and her wheezing/sneezing became more pronounced. Admitted to hospital on Saturday with 103.2 temperature. Antibiotics given, Baytrol, Doxycycline and Amoxvicillin. Respiratory issues are resolving but now she is lethargic, pupils are dilated and seems to have neck soreness. She backs up when the vet lifts her head. Her gait is steady but she is weak. Labs look ok. Chest x-ray shows small amount of air in her diaphragm. Her third eyelids are drooping. She is still in the hospital but I was  referred to contact a neurologist. I am trying to get an appointment scheduled now.  Has anyone had similar experiences?

scary! have they considered menighitis? gh aren't as susceptible to it as whippets, especially steroid responsive menighitis.

how long has she been on antibiotics? her background- location of her travels will show you what she was exposed to. fingers crossed that steroids will help. no gabapentin for the nerve pain yet? i went thru something crazy with my 5 year old whippet- mystery disease, but his fever responded to antibiotics  and for a while nerve pain to gabapentin. all of this morphed into a dreaded situation, i hope betty is luckier than jamie. fingers crossed for a positive outcome.

No help here but sending prayers for Betty and you. Keep us updated please.

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020

Thank you all for your concerns and prayers. Betty has been on the antibiotics since Saturday evening. We live near Baltimore, Md and I am having a difficult time finding a neurologist to see her. For some reason they are reluctant to start her on steroids.  Will keep you posted.

3 hours ago, creekterry said:

Thank you all for your concerns and prayers. Betty has been on the antibiotics since Saturday evening. We live near Baltimore, Md and I am having a difficult time finding a neurologist to see her. For some reason they are reluctant to start her on steroids.  Will keep you posted.

if it is not steroid responsive meningitis then the steroids will be masking the symptoms. it's a fine line for judgement call. have you considered U of Penn Vet School for a neurologist? i never went to a neurologist. my vet worked w/ antech re: testing and second opinions. she's good at that.

with jamie we put a cap on testing, until the near end when we felt we needed to find out what was going on when his lymph nodes went ballistic. testing can easily run in the many thousands of dollars. it's good to hear the antibiotics are working. gabapentin was initially successfully used for the stiffness in jamie's neck and lumbar region. i went thru a near 5 month period of ups and downs until the lymphoma manifested fully itself- i am not saying your dog is going that route- no way- but this was our scenario. we tested to see what type of lymphoma since one kind can be treated w/ some success. he wasn't that lucky. but it was up and down with some spine/gait symptoms once the fever was gone. the initial fever of 105 never returned. 

i am so sorry for your loss. sometimes these wonderful dogs' bodies just seem to shut down, one thing after another. this is not the first time that i have heard of a middle age GH going thru this. Unfortunately, from what I have observed, it seems as if they are designed for their life at the track and not longevity. Some do end up with a dog who is in it for the long haul.  :grouphug

What an awful thing to happen and out of nowhere too. So sorry you've had to go through losing a young one like this; I've lost one at 5, another at 8, and another at 14 and I think it's just a game of chance that second-guessing can't work out.   Run free at Rainbow Bridge Betty.   :f_white

I am so sad to hear you had to say goodbye to Betty. She was far to young and this happened so quickly.

Run free Lovely Girl, you will be missed.

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020

Creekterry, I have added Betty's name to the list of Bridge Angels in the Remembrance section of Greytalk.  :brokenheart

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I’m so sorry for your loss of Betty.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross