What to replace Ranitidine with?

JohnF

I see that Ranitidine, the anti heartburn and gastric reflux drug, is being withdrawn worldwide over fears of a cancer-causing ingredient. So I'm wondering what Peggy can have instead that I can get over the counter?  She been having just one tablet at night since a bad gastric infection a year or so ago and is now on a low dose of Meloxicam.

I returned my Zantac to the BJ's and asked what people were using instead and they, also, suggested, Pepcid.  I have been using it and so far, so good.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I have had vets tell me any OTC acid reducer will work on dogs about the same.  But one internist told me that the one that works the best is omeprazole, due to how it interacts with a dogs particular anatomy and chemistry.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

My girl is taking daily omeprazole.  She gets it at breakfast.  If at all possible, get the tablet instead of the capsule.  In a recent xray, taken mid afternoon, we could clearly see the as yet undigested capsule in her intestines.  After that I broke the capsule open and just gave the tablet hidden within.  Penny takes 4 meds at breakfast, so I scrape of a blob of peanut butter onto the side of her dish, stick her pills into it, and she licks it off as she eats.