Minor degloving wound

Violet came in from a trip into the yard with a quarter-sized degloving wound on the back of her leg. Thankfully it's closed, appears just the top level of skin and fur was removed (no tendon or bone visible, very minor bleeding). There was bruising pretty immediately. She let me ice and dress it - I used derma-gel, which is great for wound healing - and just sat with the Assisi Loop for 15 minutes. Going to put an ice pack on it now.

Anything else I should be doing or watching for? It looks like her foot and toes are bruising and swelling slightly, but not much. I do have Tranexamic acid and Yunnan Baiyao on hand. Thinking to give at least the latter? She's taken it before without issue. 

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Poor Violet. I think a little of the Yunnan Baiyao wouldn't hurt. How does the wound look this morning? You could also do a few minutes of a warm water rinse/hydrotherapy on that area for a day or two as well.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Nutmeg had the skin torn off an entire ear.  Vet said it just to keep it clean and that the skin/fur would not not grow back.  But except for one small portion at the very tip, it did!  Sending gentle pats to Violet.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

felix ripped all of the skin off his pastern which was pretty gross. the tendon was exposed and of course this was after hours. i washed it w/ saline, one dose of antibiotic ointment and wrapped it to say clean and a dose of metacam. he was fine in a short period of time. the healing time amazed me, but he was young when this occurred.

anti-inflammatories might bring some relief to the boo-boo, healing might be prolonged do to her age.  was this a de-glove- ripping the entire skin down or just a good hearty scrape- with a good flap of skin. on felix the flaps seemed to have reconnected, ???- go know!  when felix did something of that sort- stop pads also grew back, vitamin e applied to the surface after healed helped with hair growth. he was always doing something radical when he was young and i became very good at bandaging wounds. most of the time he ate the bandage and i just let things heal.

Thanks everyone. Even when I know things will be fine, I worry with these guys so some extra reassurance always helps. She's a little painful this morning, but not enough to stop her from playing with her sister like a maniac. :lol

Haven't looked at the wound, will probably leave it for now and change the bandage after work. 

Cleptogrey, it's just one area where a layer of skin came off on the back of her leg. No flap, the flap is out in our yard somewhere. :P Foot looks good this morning. She's already on Galliprant, but I did give her a little extra Gabapentin last night to make sure she was comfortable. I'm sure she'll be fine. I like the idea of water therapy, and we'll keep doing the Assisi Loop for wound healing. 

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

So I did take the bandage off. Looks nasty, bled a good bit overnight. But I think nothing to do except keep it clean and let it heal. Probably going to be a slow process to get the whole wound to granulate, but I'm hopeful the Assisi Loop will help speed things along. I'll make sure her PT cold lasers it too, though she doesn't come for almost a week. 

IMG_20191204_130854_irwieu.jpg

OUCH! I think a loosely fitted sock might help to keep the dirt out, and let the air circulate around. Get well soon Violet!:kiss2

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

OH YES!!!! THAT IS EXACTLY WHERE FELIX WENT DOWN TO THE TENDON!!! it was really gross and darn right scary to see a medical illustration in real life. obviously the stop pad didn't work to stop this injury. his entire paw was swollen for a day, he filed for workmen's comp, rested and then resumed life as a manic! i was really surprised that the wound healed as fast as it did. a sock did the trick, kept it clean and no pressure on the gross area.

can you tell me more about the laser treatments? i'm using it on my torn meniscus currently as advised by my acupuncturist. my feelings after 6 treatment- eh?

Cold laser or Assisi Loop?

I don't know much. We always just throw it in with PT so again, hard to know what helps and what doesn't. We did use it for wound healing when Zuri managed to jam a stick up in between his toes running in the woods and it seemed to work well. 

As far as I know, it's supposed to increase blood flow to the area, which helps healing.