Weight loss after boarding and cold (illness)

Good day all,

TL;DR at bottom.

Dropped off our 6 year male this morning after having an exam for what we think was/is a cold. He had been in boarding for 5 nights/6 days a week ago. After a day of being home, we heard a hoarseness in his bark. It wasn't a honking sound or anything that resembled Kennel cough. Appetite, drinking, pees and poops all normal. It has been improving but wanted to take him in anyways for a check of the lungs, mouth, etc... Vet says lungs and heart sound clear, mouth has no mucus, most likely a cold/viral infection and he is getting over it. However, we noticed during the weigh in he has lost almost 6 pounds in the last 3 weeks. (3 weeks ago, he had a reaction to the rabies and bortadella shot we believe and was throwing up. Cleared up in 24 hours.) The vet is a little concerned but might be from a lack of eating at the boarding facility. He and his "sister greyhound" did come back with about 20% of the food that was to be eaten. However, we were not told that he didn't eat or left food behind in his bowl. Vet recommended to make sure he is getting the right measurement of food (he is) and watch. We decided to do the next step which was xrays.

So, we have decided to get a couple X-rays done in the afternoon to see if anything is there in the abdomen or gut area. Vet receptionist has called and wanted to see if we were available this afternoon to go over the xrays. She didn't have any more than that to say. I guess my question for anybody is has anybody experience weight loss from a boarding time and if so how much would be responsible? How long would it take to put that back on if it isn't anything else? (fingers crossed it's nothing)

Thanks for taking the time to read.

TR;DR: Dog was in kennel for 5 nights. Went to vet for cold symptoms. Seems OK and is improving. At vet weigh-in, lost 6 pounds in 3 weeks. Any past experience in weight loss from boarding?

This brings back a nightmare for me. In July, we dropped a seemly healthy, 4 year old, Lola off for boarding at our usual, trusted dog-sitter. Upon our return 10 days later, Lola appeared subdued and had lost a significant amount of weight. The sitter said she had been fine during her stay. We immediately took her to the vet.e vet Bloodwork was alarming as was abdominal ultrasound.  Vet wanted to keep Lola overnight on fluids and observation. She lasted 2 hours. Thrombosis. I don’t blame the sitter or the vet at all. Sometimes, bad stuff just happens. 

Upon adopting my new girl, Jenny, I insisted on a complete K9-type check up as police and military dogs undergo. I will also insist on yearly, complete bloodwork to catch any incipient disease or disorder. 

I believe I did a disservice to Lola by assuming she was healthy because of her appearance and youth.  

I pray your pup will be fine. 

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Meet with the Vet. No signs of anything in the abdomen or lungs. Only possible bronchitis from the cold. Waiting for a final report from the radiologist but looks good. Upping her food for a few weeks to see if weight increases. If not, next step will be ultrasounds of varies organs. All blood work good.

Thanks for reading.

9 hours ago, CMGeiss said:

Meet with the Vet. No signs of anything in the abdomen or lungs. Only possible bronchitis from the cold. Waiting for a final report from the radiologist but looks good. Upping her food for a few weeks to see if weight increases. If not, next step will be ultrasounds of varies organs. All blood work good.

Thanks for reading.

So far, so good. :goodluck  That’s good news. Keep us posted. 

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

I'm glad it is all clear so far. Maybe just the stay was stressful and caused weight loss? I know my last 2 greys did not like being boarded the few times we did and June, in particular seemed exhausted and a little thin from the experience. 

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

Weight loss when they're boarding or away from home is really common.  Schedules are upended, their people are gone, the environment might be too noisy or busy for most greyhounds - lots of reasons for a dog not to want to eat.  Ditto for getting an upper respiratory infection - boarding facilities are breeding grounds for them.  Hopefully. once she's back at home and back in the swing of things she'll feel better and put the weight back on (as long as she needs it! ;) ).

Next time you might see of there's a close greyhound friend who can look after her, either in their home or dog sitting in your home.  It will be less stressful for her.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

It's common for dogs to "lose their appetite" while being boarded and unless more enticing food is offered, they will lose weight because they will not be eating. Kennels can also be very loud with dogs barking and as a result, cause a stressful environment with dogs not sleeping -- that can also cause a loss of weight.