Best method to secure kibble from a dog who thinks she is starving?

smt

Our foster girl has turned into quite the food motivated pup.  After not eating for the first 2 days, she now tries to convince us with her woeful eyes and by surfing the counter any time we turn our backs that we are, indeed, starving her:chow  She gets 1.5 cups of the foster food 2x per day, and various treats and a peanut butter kong through out the day, so I feel pretty confident that she is getting plenty of calories for a 58 pound girl.  Our kitchen is small and her food bowls (which are built in and cannot be moved) are actually directly across from the panty where her kibble is kept.  She is pretty smart and has learned that food and treats live in there.  It is a soft close IKEA panty.  My question is, what kind of latch can we use to secure the door as a preventive measure?  The food is in a plastic bin, but I am pretty confident she could figure out how to open that, as well.  We don't have human children so all that baby proofing stuff is foreign to me.  Our fist GH had to be coaxed to eat, so we never worried about this.  We prefer something that is aesthetically unobtrusive if at all possible.  We tried the supposedly super strong magnets.  No bueno.  Any other ideas?

78498435_10215812054435628_3542499814698

15 hours ago, smt said:

a soft close IKEA panty

Makes the mind boggle.... :huh I didn't know Ikea sold lingerie :lol:

Apologies. Instead of locking the pantry is it possible to use locking food containers? Or is this any good from Ikea https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/patrull-multi-latch-white-20282051/ 

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

8 hours ago, HeyRunDog said:

Makes the mind boggle.... :huh I didn't know Ikea sold lingerie :lol:

Apologies. Instead of locking the pantry is it possible to use locking food containers? Or is this any good from Ikea https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/patrull-multi-latch-white-20282051/ 

Oh my.  Have to say, though, that if IKEA got into the soft close lingerie business, I think I would have to check it out:)

I will take a look at the other link you shared.  And because the pantry is full of all kinds of other yummies, locking her food bin storage bin would not suffice.  

Edited by smt
duplicate

What kind of handles on the panty pantry doors?  

Cute pic.  Warning to your girl -- I have usually found that if the kibble is of reasonable quality, my hounds actually maintain weight on less than the amount recommended on the package.  I don't give a whole lot of treats, either, and my dogs get a reasonable amount of activity.  That 3 cups a day plus 3 dry treats is what my largest hound eats, and he's 76 lbs.  All dogs have different metabolisms, of course.  And of course you know this because you've had a hound before.  

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

closet with a kiddy lock and vittles vault might be your answer. our first greyhound used to open the combo food storage/feeder that we had, open touch latch closets and drag out a 30 lb bag of kibble, you name it she got to the food. our whippet opened cupboard doors as well- hence the kiddy lock.compromises are often made and aesthetics go out the window!

6 hours ago, EllenEveBaz said:

What kind of handles on the panty pantry doors?  

The panty - I mean pantry - door handle is a simple bar pull.  If you look at the pulls on the cabinet drawers, they are the exact same thing, except vertical.

Also, re: the amount of food she is getting, we are feeding her what they foster group advised, and she seems like she is at the perfect weight.  We have only had her 2 weeks, but If she starts to chunk up, we will cut back on the calories, somehow, somewhere.  She will NOT be happy about that, though.

15 hours ago, smt said:

The panty - I mean pantry - door handle is a simple bar pull.  If you look at the pulls on the cabinet drawers, they are the exact same thing, except vertical.

Also, re: the amount of food she is getting, we are feeding her what they foster group advised, and she seems like she is at the perfect weight.  We have only had her 2 weeks, but If she starts to chunk up, we will cut back on the calories, somehow, somewhere.  She will NOT be happy about that, though.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=child+cabinet+locks&gclid=Cj0KCQiAiZPvBRDZARIsAORkq7dkzIpXj7qlRfxMC_yIFg9oFysZFx5nTcmXtN_Mxu1V2fCN3JGBZB8aAhmNEALw_wcB&hvadid=241900746222&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9004251&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=11095413155555459576&hvtargid=kwd-3347948381&hydadcr=24656_10400586&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_6s8cecpv3b_e

i use locks placed on the interior of the cabinet. my wisenheimer needed 2 locks to keep him out- the little devil he was~

and this, keeps the ants out as well https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/gamma-vittles-vault-stackable-pet-storage-containers/206981

ALSO CHECK THE CALORIC COUNT ON THE FOOD THAT YOU ARE FEEDING. my 76# male with 4 miles of walkies and some soccer in the yard need 1200 K during his prime. fat should not be on the high level(gh are prone to pancreatitis) - protein around 24%. anything more than that is rocket fuel and your dog will chunk up and have huge and bountiful stools! i am a fan of purina pro plan focus- salmon and rice. no supplements needed for good coat and skin since i started serving it.

welcome to the world of trial and error and research. 

On 12/2/2019 at 8:22 AM, cleptogrey said:

ALSO CHECK THE CALORIC COUNT ON THE FOOD THAT YOU ARE FEEDING. my 76# male with 4 miles of walkies and some soccer in the yard need 1200 K during his prime. fat should not be on the high level(gh are prone to pancreatitis) - protein around 24%. anything more than that is rocket fuel and your dog will chunk up and have huge and bountiful stools! i am a fan of purina pro plan focus- salmon and rice. no supplements needed for good coat and skin since i started serving it.

welcome to the world of trial and error and research. 

She is eating Nature Select, and crude protein is 24%/fat is 12%.  Her stools seem reasonable to what she is eating.  But I will keep this info in mind if I switch her to another food if we end up adopting her, which seems likely.

• 1 month later...

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.