Bye bye, Embrace

Facebook's (9 years 5 months old) new premium will go up 30% with Embrace.

Jagger's (10 year 6 months old) new premium will go up 38% with Embrace.

I will call Embrace in the morning to confirm discounts are in place (membership with The Greyhound Health Initiative will NOT result in any discount with Embrace with Florida dogs...check to see if your state is still eligible).

After many years with Embrace, this will be "bye bye" time.

Any suggestions for companies that won't HAMMER you when you have seniors? 

I’m interested to hear what others have to say as I’m looking into insurance for Jenny. ASPCA has been recommended.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

• 1 month later...

Yes, boo Embrace! I just got my upcoming March renewal annual premium quote.

Premium went from $683.65 last year ($5,000 annual max, $500 deductible, 80% reimbursement) to $923.21 this year (35% increase).

Wellness add-on  of $390 didn't change ($450 max reimbursement for vaccinations, dental, nail trimming, flea/heartworm preventives, and some other things).

So total was $1,073.65 last year ($683.65 + $390) and total now is $1,313.21 this year ($923.21 + $390), about 23% overall increase.

I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do, retain it or drop it. Sheba will be 12 January 23 and in relatively good health but she's almost 12 and the hips are getting weaker....

On 11/30/2019 at 12:39 PM, seeh2o said:

Check out Prudent Pet. I just signed up with the after Healthy Paws did the same thing to me - plus they've shipped their customer service overseas, really bad form.

I just checked Prudent Pet against what Embrace just sent me for renewal, and Prudent Pet quote is more (about $1,500 vs. Embrace's $1,313). Prudent Pet also doesn't cover wellness annual exams, vaccinations, and such,  so I guess I'll either stick with Embrace or cancel altogether and go with nothing.

• 2 months later...
On 1/11/2020 at 3:03 PM, ShebasMom said:

I just checked Prudent Pet against what Embrace just sent me for renewal, and Prudent Pet quote is more (about $1,500 vs. Embrace's $1,313). Prudent Pet also doesn't cover wellness annual exams, vaccinations, and such,  so I guess I'll either stick with Embrace or cancel altogether and go with nothing.

So, I stuck with Embrace for the upcoming year. Now I'm having a dispute with Embrace regarding Sheba's dental March 16, 2020, under the new coverage year. I paid $390 for a Wellness Plan covering $450 that covers among other things dental scale and polish and other costs required for the dental (IV catheter w/ fluids, anesthesia Sevoflo, penicillin injection, and antibiotic post-dental). For Sheba's 2019 dental, Embrace reimbursed me the total cost for the dental including the other costs; however, for this current dental they only reimbursed me $88 for only the dental scale and polish. Totally against what the Wellness Plan policy says ("It is a separate product from Embrace’s accident and illness insurance policy. Therefore, wellness claims do not have a copayment, nor do they count toward the insurance deductible"). I hope to get the Wellness Plan refund I am due and have threatened to file a complaint with the Ohio Better Business Bureau if I don't.

12 hours ago, ShebasMom said:

So, I stuck with Embrace for the upcoming year. Now I'm having a dispute with Embrace regarding Sheba's dental March 16, 2020, under the new coverage year. I paid $390 for a Wellness Plan covering $450 that covers among other things dental scale and polish and other costs required for the dental (IV catheter w/ fluids, anesthesia Sevoflo, penicillin injection, and antibiotic post-dental). For Sheba's 2019 dental, Embrace reimbursed me the total cost for the dental including the other costs; however, for this current dental they only reimbursed me $88 for only the dental scale and polish. Totally against what the Wellness Plan policy says ("It is a separate product from Embrace’s accident and illness insurance policy. Therefore, wellness claims do not have a copayment, nor do they count toward the insurance deductible"). I hope to get the Wellness Plan refund I am due and have threatened to file a complaint with the Ohio Better Business Bureau if I don't.

A threat of calling the BBB means nothing to any legitimate company.  The BBB is a scam organization in the business of selling memberships and reviews to unsuspecting businesses. 

Instead, threaten to file a complaint with the state agency that regulates insurance sales in your state.  That will get their attention on your call really fast.  Do the research to find out which agency that is and call the agency by their actual official agency name when you mention them. This way, Embrace knows you've done your homework and are naming the agency that regulates their ability to sell policies in Ohio. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

1 hour ago, Time4ANap said:

A threat of calling the BBB means nothing to any legitimate company.  The BBB is a scam organization in the business of selling memberships and reviews to unsuspecting businesses. 

True.  One of my former bosses called it "$XX a year to make older customers  feel safer - but absolutely useless".

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

10 hours ago, Time4ANap said:

Instead, threaten to file a complaint with the state agency that regulates insurance sales in your state.  That will get their attention on your call really fast.  Do the research to find out which agency that is and call the agency by their actual official agency name when you mention them. This way, Embrace knows you've done your homework and are naming the agency that regulates their ability to sell policies in Ohio. 

Actually filing a complaint with a different state's BBB DID work for me. Different issue, though, because was a canceled riverboat cruise, not insurance related, where the company in a letter said I'd get a refund but then changed the policy and said no refund after all. Filing the complaint with the BBB got me my refund in that case. 

23 hours ago, ShebasMom said:

Just learned today that Embrace IS reimbursing me the required amount. They finally realized their mistake.

5 hours ago, ShebasMom said:

Actually filing a complaint with a different state's BBB DID work for me. Different issue, though, because was a canceled riverboat cruise, not insurance related, where the company in a letter said I'd get a refund but then changed the policy and said no refund after all. Filing the complaint with the BBB got me my refund in that case. 

Surprising, but glad it worked out for you.  In the states where I've lived they carry no weight and are pretty much a scam. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life