New Pet Sitter

Ugh, so my husband and I found ourselves in a tight spot...

We've had a pet/house sitter for the last 6+ years? With 2 greyhounds and 3 cats it always made since to have someone stay at the house while away. 

Our last sitter was good with Sidney and June... she was always a little "flighty" but the hounds liked her and she always showed up. 

Then one day she just vanished. We tried calling her several times and texting with never a response. So we let it go and the few times we went away we had the hounds boarded at the vet... not our first choice but they both had medical needs so it worked out. 

Then one day I randomly called the pet sitter after seeing her website was still active... low and behold she answered! A long story explained her absence (not really but it partially explained things).

GREAT! I booked her for a short trip in December months ago. We still have the kitties to have looked after. Once we adopted Amelia and Carmen I reached out telling her about them and canned to have her come out to meet the girls. 

Well... she never showed to meet them. A few texts messages and a phone call to her and nothing. Then I get a short text back afterwards that only said, "she's in the hospital". 

This isn't good... this was 3 weeks from our trip and now we felt like we couldn't rely on her. Is she going MIA again? I'm not leaving town having no idea if this woman is showing up or not. 

My husband and I took a leap of faith and have booked a new sitter. She already came out once to interview with us and meet the girls. Both hounds liked her right away. She is my age so no "kid" is showing up and she has 4 dogs of her own. 

Today she's coming out to let the girls out at lunchtime by herself as a trial run.

Fingers crossed all goes well!

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

Good luck! We ask my very dependable in laws to stay with us if we need an extended sit but we also have a lady who comes in for our very (very) occasional nights out without the dog who stays for toilets breaks a bit of a cuddle. But mostly we have just stopped going out to places where he can’t come, so now it’s holidays with the boy and we visit dog friendly pubs (many are, including the one across the road from us fortunately!). I’m sure we don’t need to be like this but most of the time I just don’t want to leave him anyway. Sometimes you just can’t help it.

I hope it goes well today

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

56 minutes ago, MerseyGrey said:

Good luck! We ask my very dependable in laws to stay with us if we need an extended sit but we also have a lady who comes in for our very (very) occasional nights out without the dog who stays for toilets breaks a bit of a cuddle. But mostly we have just stopped going out to places where he can’t come, so now it’s holidays with the boy and we visit dog friendly pubs (many are, including the one across the road from us fortunately!). I’m sure we don’t need to be like this but most of the time I just don’t want to leave him anyway. Sometimes you just can’t help it.

I hope it goes well today

Thank you!

Unfortunately I booked the hotel a while ago. Thought about changing the reservation to a pet-friendly one but by then everything was booked solid in in town. 

Next year we plan on taking a few trips with the girls.

Looks like the visit went well. Checked things out on our various puppy cams and the girls behaved :P

Edited by 2greyhoundMINI

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

1 hour ago, 2greyhoundMINI said:

Thank you!

Unfortunately I booked the hotel a while ago. Thought about changing the reservation to a pet-friendly one but by then everything was booked solid in in town. 

Next year we plan on taking a few trips with the girls.

Looks like the visit went well. Checked things out on our various puppy cams and the girls behaved :P

I’m sure they did...we’re beside ourselves with worry while they are oblivious and will just sleep through our absence :lol

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

22 minutes ago, MerseyGrey said:

I’m sure they did...we’re beside ourselves with worry while they are oblivious and will just sleep through our absence :lol

They are very happy with anyone's attention luckily. My last two were a lot more picky. 

8 minutes ago, MP_the4pack said:

I could be an emergency backup.  I'm 50 minutes away. But your girls would need to come here since I also have a couple girls. 

And unfortunately your cats would need to find a different sitter.

I truly appreciate that offer. Thank you!

The kitties are easy - I have a neighbor that has come fed them in the past. 

My sister is another emergency plan if I ever needed one. 

Edited by 2greyhoundMINI

Another follow-up here...

The new sitter send us wonderful pics of her playing with the girls in the yard and wrote a very thorough recap.

So it looks like she will be our new sitter for our December trip. 

On 11/27/2019 at 6:41 PM, smt said:

I know you must feel a huge sense of relief.  Enjoy your trip, and hopefully you will get lots of pics and updates on how the girls are doing while you are away.

I’ll always be nervous leaving my babies... but this helps :D

When we moved we had to find a new pet sitter......it is frightening for sure!   But we hit the jackpot and ours also texts pictures and little stories to let us know they are fine.   I always leave a 10 Starbucks card to her on the counter from Jill and Phog to let her know how appreciated she is!

9 hours ago, teri_d said:

When we moved we had to find a new pet sitter......it is frightening for sure!   But we hit the jackpot and ours also texts pictures and little stories to let us know they are fine.   I always leave a 10 Starbucks card to her on the counter from Jill and Phog to let her know how appreciated she is!

Yup, I intend to leave her a nice Xmas gift. 
always left the other sitter a nice one too. 

Reliability is the #1 priority in someone taking care of animals.  Years ago I had a dogwalker who started out great and then after a year things deteriorated quickly -- I suspect drugs.  :(  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

1st: The new sitter was great! She texted constant pics and written updates. The girls behaved well for her... only one incident. We lost an elf off the Xmas tree. Poor guy didn't stand a chance LOL

2nd: The old sitter ACTUALLY texted me the DAY BEFORE we left and asked of we were still on??????? Are you serious? I called her and politely told her since I hadn't heard from her in 3 WEEKS that we had to make other arrangements. She said she understood and to call next time we needed someone... I'll get right on that <_<

• 2 weeks later...

My husband (who had off today) had a visit from our new sitter... she dropped off holiday treats for the kitties and the hounds! 

How sweet! 

• 2 weeks later...