Stress induced colitis

Hi All,

I posted last month about how we lost our Al. Lucy has been lonely and was skipping meals, had diarrhea, etc. After seeing our vet yesterday he diagnosed her with stress induced colitis. She's on Metronidazole and he wants me to keep her on a bland diet for a couple of days. We usually feed her two cups of kibble at each meal and he said we could double that with the rice/meat mixture. Does that seem right? Don't get me wrong, Lucy is eating the heck out of it, but it just seems like SO MUCH. :unsure Thanks!

Deanna 

Lucy's kibble has all the moisture removed, so it looks like a lot less than it really is. The meat/rice mixture still has all the moisture.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Annie had stress induced colitis. This started after a very very hot grapehounds event where we were vendors and the temps were near 100. Between the weather and the show it was just too much. She just was not the same after.

Our vet prescribed ID canned diet and flagyl. There are new lower dosages for flagyl, so just ask your vet about them. ID then back to kibble but she was on flagyl for quite a few months. It took quite a while until we could reduce the dosage to every other day, every 3 days,  etc. We fed her Purina pro plan focus salmon and rice.

• 2 weeks later...

That seems like a huge amount of food. Gotta agree with you there.... I’ve never given my greys anywhere near that much when they were on rice and chicken for a time. Curious if the Olewo carrots would help. Hope Lucy is feeling better by now. 

My dogs are fed a home-made diet and they typically get about 2 cups of rice at dinner with about 1/2 cup meat and 1/3 cup veggies. At breakfast, they get about 1/2 cup meat and 1/4 cup brown rice, and about a 1 1/4 cups of cooked oatmeal with milk and a bit of honey.  They have been getting amounts like this for more than a decade although, I do change out ingredients. If I use potato instead, amounts are less because it is more dense.

One of my dogs had IBD from seizure meds and we never gave flagyl (internist and I agreed) because of all the other meds she was on.  The home-made diet worked for years along with probiotics and monthly B12 shots. She had fish as the protein.

10 minutes ago, MaryJane said:

My dogs are fed a home-made diet and they typically get about 2 cups of rice at dinner with about 1/2 cup meat and 1/3 cup veggies. At breakfast, they get about 1/2 cup meat and 1/4 cup brown rice, and about a 1 1/4 cups of cooked oatmeal with milk and a bit of honey.  They have been getting amounts like this for more than a decade although, I do change out ingredients. If I use potato instead, amounts are less because it is more dense.

One of my dogs had IBD from seizure meds and we never gave flagyl (internist and I agreed) because of all the other meds she was on.  The home-made diet worked for years along with probiotics and monthly B12 shots. She had fish as the protein.

My dogs have asked if they can move in with you because they think the food sounds delicious! 😋  (My first grey had osteo so pretty much all carbs came out of his diet and I’ve just stayed that course - but what you feed yours sounds amazing.)