Bleeding from under tail

sarabz

Bella (14 1/2) came in from our morning walk dripping blood. I finally found a raw, bloody area on the underside of her tail. Not happy tail, it's about 2/3 of the way up her tail. There's also a small (1/4 of a pea) rock-hard lump at the edge of the raw area. 

I cleaned and bandaged it and it's fine for now, although still bleeding. She's not a wagger so I don't expect the bandage to be much of a problem.

I'd think it's a cyst that ruptured except the location seems very strange. Any thoughts? 

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Sounds to me like you are probably right and that it is a cyst or growth or something. If its a bleeder growth of some sort or  a ruptured cyst though it should probably be removed so I would definitely try to find a competent vet to examine it. Hope she gets better soon!

Agreed.  Vet visit with possible removal.

There are glands and other things located in the tail, so it's possible something is out of whack and needs to be treated - infection or impaction, or even a foreign body.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Turns out that she has dislocated tailbones and a severe laceration. I'm feeling horrible because I have absolutely no idea how she did this. She's in surgery right now and is losing 2/3 of her tail. 😢

Oh no, give that sweet girl a :kiss2 from us. Don't beat yourself up, you know these hounds find the weirdest ways to get hurt and then not even show it!

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Poor girl! I agree with Palmettobug...they cry at the smallest thing but never give any indication when they are really in pain. She’s being treated now so you’ve done the best for her and can give her lots of cuddles when she comes round :wub:

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

Poor Bella!   Hoping she has a quick and comfortable recovery.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

In our other house, Rocket had to walk by the washer and dryer to go out.  He scared the crap out of me more than once with that wagging tail hitting the appliances at full wag.  Fortunately, he never injured it, but not for lack of trying.  

Give that sweet girl a big hug from us. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Best thoughts for Bella :kiss2 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Good thoughts for your girl.  :heart

*Many* years ago a shelter dog we adopted had a good part of his tail removed - at time of adoption the end of his tail was missing and the stub just would not heal no matter what we and the vet tried.  So the best option was to take about 2/3 of it off.

Bearing in mind this was a long time ago and techniques and bandaging options may have changed, the biggest challenge, even with a short tail, was to ensure he didn't hit it on anything and cause it to bleed.  He had a ton of bandaging around it for cushioning, was always on leash when outside, and we were careful to make sure he didn't bump anything or get bumped.  It took awhile, but it healed perfectly.

5 hours ago, Remolacha said:

Glad that Bella sailed through surgery and is doing well! A standard subtext of pet ownership should be “where the **** did that blood come from?”

🤣🤣🤣

She's doing great - had a good dinner, went for a brief walk and is snuggled up with me on the sofa.

{{{hugs}}} all around!!!  Hope she recovers well and easily!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

12 hours ago, EllenEveBaz said:

Hope she's enjoying a luxurious weekend with lots of pampering and cuddles.  (As if that wasn't her everyday life, anyway.  :)  )

Exactly 😄 She's doing exceptionally well, she's pretty amazing.