Expirience of tendon injury causing a flat foot?

My dog came back lame on a front foot after a run on icy rough surface. Just small scratches, but the foot is all flat and the dog has a severe lameness. X-ray didn´t show any fractures, the quite unexperienced vet said that there is a tendon ruptur at at least 3 toes and that this requires surgery. She´s geting back to me after consulting an ortopedic. But is surgery going to fix this? How easily will it retear? And what if we don´t do the surgery- will it heal? Please tell your story. 

20191108_132755.jpg

A flat foot is definitely indicative of a serious tear/rupture. I would get an Ortho consult asap. I'm not a vet, but I don't think there's any way it's going to heal on its own.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I think it will require surgery too as although the dog may learn to cope with it, the condition may become chronic and affect the whole limb in later life. The figures show some 70-94% of dogs should see a good recovery from surgery within about 9 months, but the path to get there is quite involved and you will need to follow your chosen veterinarian's advice as the dog gets weaned off using any support structure.

An update; According to the orthopedian consulted this kind of injury is treated whit rest and NSAID. If the tendons would have been cut off surgery should be  the choise of treatment, but in this case the dog has run on hard, rough, icy surface and the tendons have been badly streched/ torn and surgery isn´t usally successfull. The dog will not have any career in any running- or agilitycompetitions, but there are good possibilities that she will recover and can live a normal doglife. I really hope that this will be the case for her. At the moment (a week after injury) she is limbing less but still choose to not bear weight on the injured foot all the time. 

Sweep has chronic toe issues so she's on an NSAID anyway, but several months ago she did this to a front middle toe (not the whole foot like your poor pup!). I think she came down on the edge of our concrete patio during a run in the yard. The toe was quite flat but now it is back to normal (well, normal for her anyway) and she doesn't limp. It just took time and patience. Best wishes for a smooth and full recovery for your dog.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Time time time - any injury like this is going to take weeks/months to heal.  One of ours had this issue - tendon injuries following an insane running session - that impacted several toes.  He limped for a few months, was on nsaids and pain meds for a few weeks, and rest, and then he began using his foot normally again.  His foot was flat as a pancake, but it never impacted anything he wanted to do as a pet.  He could still run and play and do whatever he wanted.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

My Greyhound Ivy had a tendon rupture in his rear knee joint and the first vet wanted to do surgery to fix it with nails. I went to another one to get a second opnion and this

second vet fixed the knee joint with a cast-like bandage. The dog had to wear the bandage for one month, after that he got a smaller bandage which he wore for another 3 weeks.

The injury healed perfectly withour surgery! I hope, you habe luck and can avoid surgery.

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

• 1 year later...

Hi @Ingeborg, do you have any updates on how your dog has recovered from her injury?

My girl has something similar going on (she was running full force in the woods and when she stopped she was limping.. I noticed that her right front paw now appears flat.) it has been 3 days now of rest and some anti inflammatories, the limping is better but the paw is still flat and she's still not putting as much weight on it. 

I have an appointment to see Ortho this Wednesday, it's been hard to get a sooner appointment because of covid. 

I hope your girl is doing better. Hope to hear good news! :)

• 9 months later...

Hello, my gsd is having the same problem now. How is your dog doing? We are not sure what we want to do. Either move forward with survey or monitor him and provide support and comfort as he is 8yrs old now. He is a bigger boy, a little over 100lbs. 

On 4/17/2021 at 6:55 PM, Cheers625 said:

Hi @Ingeborg, do you have any updates on how your dog has recovered from her injury?

My girl has something similar going on (she was running full force in the woods and when she stopped she was limping.. I noticed that her right front paw now appears flat.) it has been 3 days now of rest and some anti inflammatories, the limping is better but the paw is still flat and she's still not putting as much weight on it. 

I have an appointment to see Ortho this Wednesday, it's been hard to get a sooner appointment because of covid. 

I hope your girl is doing better. Hope to hear good news! :)

How’s your dog doing? My German shepherd has the same problem now for almost 2 months now. 

@Titus

Since this thread is from a couple years ago, and I don't know if these two posters are even on GT anymore, I'll repeat what I said above:

Having a "sprung toe" (a rupture of the toe tendon causing the toe to flatten out) is pretty common for greyhounds.  It doesn't usually require surgery, and most dogs recover in a few months with nsaid support.  The tendon does *not* heal, and the toe/foot remains flat, but it doesn't seem to impact their use of the foot in any way, and they continue to run and play normally following the healing time.

I don't know how this injury reacts with GSDs, but probably pretty much the same.  Hopefully your vet can help you maneuver through this healing time with nsaids and/or pain medication, and get you and dog back up to speed soon.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

@greysmom thank you! I actually private messages two of the posters and got their feedback and update on their dogs. 

Is NSAID same as carprofen? Titus, my gsd was on it for two months but I expected it didn’t help but that’s me expecting his points goes back to normal, I was just told carprofen helps with inflammation. 

I think my biggest fear is my boy not being able to walk or run much as he is very active for an 8yr old and his a little over 100lbs. 

9 hours ago, Titus said:

@greysmom thank you! I actually private messages two of the posters and got their feedback and update on their dogs. 

Is NSAID same as carprofen? Titus, my gsd was on it for two months but I expected it didn’t help but that’s me expecting his points goes back to normal, I was just told carprofen helps with inflammation. 

I think my biggest fear is my boy not being able to walk or run much as he is very active for an 8yr old and his a little over 100lbs. 

Yes, Carprofen is generic Rimadyl, which is an NSAID. 

Could your boy stand to lose some weight? 100 lbs is a lot for most GSDs and extra weight would definitely slow healing. 

Hope he feels better soon!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

@NeylasMom he is mixed with something so he’s body is bulky, but yes he definitely needs to lose more. He’s on a satiety diet and daily walk and eats breakfast and dinner with no treats. I just hope his flat foot doesn’t get worse but it’s apparently chronic and I dont want him putting more weight on the other front right leg that’s normal.