New dog after loss

Good morning all,

I lost my heart grey, Al, just over two weeks ago. My heart is broken, but Miss Lucy is going through some pretty sad depression. She was a racing school drop out, fostered with Al at the age of 2 and came to us together. She's never been alone. The other day she went over to his urn, sniffed around at his collar and started to whine. We are showering her with loads of attention and love but I can tell she's missing him something fierce. We've discussed getting another dog to be her companion. We're in CT and I've checked the local grey rescue groups and there are maybe 3 greys available up here. We've looked online at some local rescues and have seen some really cute pups. So my question is, would it be best to try to find another grey for her, or has anyone had success with introducing other breeds of dogs? It sounds funny when I ask it, but I've always just thought of greys being with greys. And to be honest, I almost think it would be easier on me to get another breed for the time being. It's going to be really difficult to not compare any new greyhounds with my Al. But she's my primary concern...

Al Lucy Snuggle.jpg

I'm so sorry for your loss. :grouphug  You are doing everything right to try to help Stella cope with her loss as she grieves for her friend. Sometimes they do simply need the companionship of another dog, be it greyhound or another breed. I've always had multiple greyhounds, some of whom mourned more strongly than others when we suffered a loss, so there has always been the steady company of another greyhound. If you search the C&F forum here, you'll find posts about my newest senior, Cletus, who is KLTO (KNOT Like The Others) - he is a LabX who has taken on (or arrived with, not sure!) greyhound traits. My campers welcomed him and at times it does feel as tho there are *all* greyhound campers here. It has worked fine here either way, so I would simply say to be open to another dog who calls your name,  whether that be a greyhound, another breed, or a mixed breed.

When you meet the new dog, if you can bring Stella with you for her opinion and that of the potential new family member, all the better. Good luck, and be kind to yourselves.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

6 minutes ago, FiveRoooooers said:

I'm so sorry for your loss. :grouphug  You are doing everything right to try to help Stella cope with her loss as she grieves for her friend. Sometimes they do simply need the companionship of another dog, be it greyhound or another breed. I've always had multiple greyhounds, some of whom mourned more strongly than others when we suffered a loss, so there has always been the steady company of another greyhound. If you search the C&F forum here, you'll find posts about my newest senior, Cletus, who is KLTO (KNOT Like The Others) - he is a LabX who has taken on (or arrived with, not sure!) greyhound traits. My campers welcomed him and at times it does feel as tho there are *all* greyhound campers here. It has worked fine here either way, so I would simply say to be open to another dog who calls your name,  whether that be a greyhound, another breed, or a mixed breed.

When you meet the new dog, if you can bring Stella with you for her opinion and that of the potential new family member, all the better. Good luck, and be kind to yourselves.

Thank you so much. Her name is Lucy, but I'm kinda digging Stella. ;-) You are in CT too?? Any info on some upcoming adoption events I should be aware of?

2 minutes ago, lovnmygreys said:

Thank you so much. Her name is Lucy, but I'm kinda digging Stella. ;-) You are in CT too?? Any info on some upcoming adoption events I should be aware of?

Sorry Lucy!! (from where did I get Stella :lol ) Yes, opposite side of the state from you. Off the top of my head I don't know of specific events, but check out the FB pages and websites of the groups you've found because they will post their upcoming events there. There is usually a Holiday walk or three coming up that will be fun!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

10 minutes ago, FiveRoooooers said:

Sorry Lucy!! (from where did I get Stella :lol ) Yes, opposite side of the state from you. Off the top of my head I don't know of specific events, but check out the FB pages and websites of the groups you've found because they will post their upcoming events there. There is usually a Holiday walk or three coming up that will be fun!

If I ever get another girl, I'm naming her Stella. lol I'm definitely looking at the Southbury walk on November 24. I'll look for others as well. Thank you!

I was in the same boat as you--I got Gino in March to be a buddy for my boy Johnny. Gino is a beta boy, and him and Johnny got along well. Unfortunately, Johnny passed away quite unexpectedly in June. I gave myself and Gino three months to mourn and bond ourselves a little more, to hopefully get him out of his shell. We adopted Fuzzy in September, she is a sweet little girl and just the right companion for Gino. They've had a couple of squabbles, but Gino cannot live without her. She's even bringing him out a little more, he plays with stuffies when she gets to playing, too. He takes comfort in her, laying his head on her back.

I would say to look at galgos, too. There are a lot of greyhound people who have both.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

13 minutes ago, palmettobug said:

I was in the same boat as you--I got Gino in March to be a buddy for my boy Johnny. Gino is a beta boy, and him and Johnny got along well. Unfortunately, Johnny passed away quite unexpectedly in June. I gave myself and Gino three months to mourn and bond ourselves a little more, to hopefully get him out of his shell. We adopted Fuzzy in September, she is a sweet little girl and just the right companion for Gino. They've had a couple of squabbles, but Gino cannot live without her. She's even bringing him out a little more, he plays with stuffies when she gets to playing, too. He takes comfort in her, laying his head on her back.

I would say to look at galgos, too. There are a lot of greyhound people who have both.

:heart

My general advice is that if you want another dog, get another dog!  But we're not enablers around here at all!!!!  :lol 

You may or may not need another greyhound, unfortunately only Lucy can tell you that (There's a thread in T&B from Stellasdad about getting a greyhound after a loss ;) ).   If you have freinds with other breeds you might take her to meet them to see if she's OK with other breeds.  Some greyhounds are definitely NOT, some are "meh!", and some are fine with them.  In general, a breed of about the same size-to-a little bigger is the safest bet, but they *can* get along with all sizes if they want.  She may have been tested with small dogs before she came to you.  If not, you'll want to be careful introducing her to small and/or very young dogs in case she's not.   A lot of people have dachsunds and greys, which totally makes sense if you consider they're both hounds at the core.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

10 minutes ago, greysmom said:

My general advice is that if you want another dog, get another dog!  But we're not enablers around here at all!!!!  :lol 

You may or may not need another greyhound, unfortunately only Lucy can tell you that (There's a thread in T&B from Stellasdad about getting a greyhound after a loss ;) ).   If you have freinds with other breeds you might take her to meet them to see if she's OK with other breeds.  Some greyhounds are definitely NOT, some are "meh!", and some are fine with them.  In general, a breed of about the same size-to-a little bigger is the safest bet, but they *can* get along with all sizes if they want.  She may have been tested with small dogs before she came to you.  If not, you'll want to be careful introducing her to small and/or very young dogs in case she's not.   A lot of people have dachsunds and greys, which totally makes sense if you consider they're both hounds at the core.

My sister has border collies and she just loves them. But playing with them and living with them may be different. I don't know. But now I've gone and scoped out a local grey up for adoption. I think I have to meet him. 

And that's one of the reasons I love this group. Your enabling qualities. :lol

19 minutes ago, greysmom said:

(There's a thread in T&B from Stellasdad about getting a greyhound after a loss ;) ). 

Nope, that wasn’t it ;) :lol

FOSTER!!!! greyhound rescue and rehab is getting quite a few dogs in from west virginia this weekend! they are in dire need of foster homes. https://www.greyhoundrescuerehab.org  they also have a FB page, closed so you need to join. do call soon since the powers that be will be on the road all weekend. some of the dogs are going to a boarding kennel in CT. (wilton area).

GOOD LUCK- i felt the same way after felix died. then i lost my young whippet a couple of months later. it was hell. i couldn't figure out what direction to go, but i finally did.

37 minutes ago, cleptogrey said:

FOSTER!!!! greyhound rescue and rehab is getting quite a few dogs in from west virginia this weekend! they are in dire need of foster homes. https://www.greyhoundrescuerehab.org  they also have a FB page, closed so you need to join. do call soon since the powers that be will be on the road all weekend. some of the dogs are going to a boarding kennel in CT. (wilton area).

GOOD LUCK- i felt the same way after felix died. then i lost my young whippet a couple of months later. it was hell. i couldn't figure out what direction to go, but i finally did.

I'm talking to my husband about this option. We do not have a fenced yard, is that an issue for fostering? 

1 hour ago, lovnmygreys said:

I'm talking to my husband about this option. We do not have a fenced yard, is that an issue for fostering? 

It depends on the group. My Johnny was fostered in a 4th floor apartment. Which was good, because I live in a condo.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

2 hours ago, lovnmygreys said:

yes, depends upon the dog/group etc. but you are experienced GH owners. good luck!

btw foster failure is not that bad especially if it's the right dog! if GRR isn't the right place do contact WAG and the other groups in CT.