Anxious pup

Hey gang,

So we just adopted 2 sweet 2 year old girls (if you didn’t see my other post).

Amelia is settling fast and easy, but Carmen seems very anxious. Obviously it’s only been a few days, but wondering if there’s anything we can do to help her settle a little easier. 
Her crate is definitely a safe space which is good. It’s the only place she will lay down and relax. Outside of it she’s constantly walking/pacing. 

Thx in advance.

Still feel like we could always use advice. I’m certainly no expert :D

Edited by 2greyhoundMINI

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

17 minutes ago, cleptogrey said:

just give her time. her entire world has been turned upside down.keep her crate up- don't even think of breaking it down.

congrats on your new pups.

Kinda my thoughts... just want to make sure we are doing everything right :)

Thx!

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

DAP diffuser and collar.  These can really help her feel more comfortable. 

Time and patience.  It just takes some dogs longer to settle down and settle in.  If she has a calm, confident housemate it will also help.

Keep her schedule consistent and very low key - no (or not many) visitors, strict meal times and play times, same potty schedule every day.  If you have to take walks to potty, keep them short and hopefully at less busy times on your street.

When she's calm and laying in her crate, sit near her doing something quiet like reading (aloud if you can handle it) or other stationary pursuit.  Toss her a yummy treat every so often and say a quiet word of encouragement.

Time.

Patience.

Repeat.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Thank you!

We are doing most/all of that minus the diffuser... thx for that suggestion.

Definitely know time, patience and schedule are key. Our last girl  who was older (4 when we got her) was anxious as well and took time to adjust. 

Edited by 2greyhoundMINI

Update: a hectic weekend unfortunately with family in town. Not ideal for 2 new pups but we did the best we could.

Pups both did fine. 

Carmen is still having issues at night... in fact she broke her crate early this morning... pulled the whole front in. 

We did get the DAP diffuser and some of the spray as well. 

Hoping this week is more structured and she starts to get the routine. 

Any more advice to help her out is appreciated. 

I crated Grace for the first couple of nights but she started to take exception to it and would whine constantly so I left the door open and she was a lot happier. It appears she didn't like to be confined in a small space even if it was a large 48 inch crate.

I still have Grace's crate up and covered with an old blanket as she still occasionally uses it as a safe place but I have removed the door so she can come and go as she wants. Could you do the same with Carmen?

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

6 hours ago, HeyRunDog said:

I crated Grace for the first couple of nights but she started to take exception to it and would whine constantly so I left the door open and she was a lot happier. It appears she didn't like to be confined in a small space even if it was a large 48 inch crate.

I still have Grace's crate up and covered with an old blanket as she still occasionally uses it as a safe place but I have removed the door so she can come and go as she wants. Could you do the same with Carmen?

Funny you mention this...

We experimented last night... both girls were completely content in their "spots" in the family room while we watched tv and ended the evening. 
Since we didn’t want an ordeal with getting Carmen back in her crate we decided to throw the dice and leave them out for the night. We left some soft lighting on and soothing music. 

Go figure! Neither one made a peep all night! And no accidents! 
Looks like the crates are a no now but we will leave them up for a while in case. 

So glad the night went well.  Have you left them uncrated while no one was home?  If so for how long and how'd it go? We are seriously considering adopting 2 because the incidence of SA, or at least dogs who struggle to be alone, seems to be higher than we want to roll the dice on.  We are fostering, which gives us some leeway to figure out the dogs needs, but we fell in love with a little girl who MUST be with another dog, so are considering taking in another just to be able to adopt the girl who HATES the crate and HATES being left by herself. I am closely watching all of your posts to see how things go with bringing in 2 very young females ~ which is exactly what we are looking at doing.

12 minutes ago, smt said:

So glad the night went well.  Have you left them uncrated while no one was home?  If so for how long and how'd it go? We are seriously considering adopting 2 because the incidence of SA, or at least dogs who struggle to be alone, seems to be higher than we want to roll the dice on.  We are fostering, which gives us some leeway to figure out the dogs needs, but we fell in love with a little girl who MUST be with another dog, so are considering taking in another just to be able to adopt the girl who HATES the crate and HATES being left by herself. I am closely watching all of your posts to see how things go with bringing in 2 very young females ~ which is exactly what we are looking at doing.

Today was day 1 alone and uncrated.

My husband went home at lunch to let them out (one of us will always do this).

Turns out (from our puppy cam in the room they are in) he was about 5 min too late before the one had an accident. To her credit she went to the back door we let them out and whined before it happened so she knows. 

Personally I think these 2 are very smart and very well behaved... not just for 2 year olds, but for any age. Maybe I'm just bias :D

Don't let age turn you off from adopting 2 young ones!

Edited by 2greyhoundMINI

Thats awesome.  Sounds like just a little fine tuning with timing for potty breaks, and all will be well.  And I'm sure they are as smart as their mama thinks they are :)

It's also great that they seem to be able to keep each other calm and content while the humans are away.  It will be interesting to see what they do during the day when left alone.  Will they play a lot with each other?  Or mostly sleep?  Or get into things they shouldn't?  Given their young age, I can imagine all of the above are on the menu.  But 2 young girls seems so delightful.  I bet that the energy and playfulness and exuberance will make for a lively home.

10 hours ago, smt said:

Thats awesome.  Sounds like just a little fine tuning with timing for potty breaks, and all will be well.  And I'm sure they are as smart as their mama thinks they are :)

It's also great that they seem to be able to keep each other calm and content while the humans are away.  It will be interesting to see what they do during the day when left alone.  Will they play a lot with each other?  Or mostly sleep?  Or get into things they shouldn't?  Given their young age, I can imagine all of the above are on the menu.  But 2 young girls seems so delightful.  I bet that the energy and playfulness and exuberance will make for a lively home.

Today is day 3 of them being alone... I'm pretty impressed with how well they are doing. 

Amelia is very chill... she plays with stuffs and just lays around. 

Carmen is a bit more antsy without us but she settles and lays down most of the time. We need to just get home a bit earlier for her lunchtime potty break which is not a big deal. I work 3 miles from home and my husband is close as well. 

This week is a full work week for us so this will get the girls into the routine for sure. 

Edited by 2greyhoundMINI

8 minutes ago, 2greyhoundMINI said:

Carmen is a bit more antsy without us but she settles and lays down most of the time. 

This seems to point towards her eventually being a-ok, I would think.  If after three days of being uncrated while the humans are gone she is able to settle and lay down, I would think (hope) that she will only become more secure in the fact that she is ok, that ya'll will return, and that life is good.  Here's to hoping that that is the case.  

I think I have a case of GHSAPTSD (Greyhound Separation Anxiety Post Traumatic Stress Disorder).  While not in the DSM, I am convinced it's a real thing.  Once one have lived through an experience of SA, any whiff of it can trigger a PTSD response.  At least for me that seems to be true :) which is why I am so encouraged to read stories such as your Carmen's of pups who may struggle with the transition, but do get it together without a long, laborious and oftentimes unrealistic-to-implement-with-fidelity alone training regiment.  

Sending lots of positive thoughts to your girls, and Carmen in particular, as well as to their mama and papa.

4 minutes ago, smt said:

This seems to point towards her eventually being a-ok, I would think.  If after three days of being uncrated while the humans are gone she is able to settle and lay down, I would think (hope) that she will only become more secure in the fact that she is ok, that ya'll will return, and that life is good.  Here's to hoping that that is the case.  

I think I have a case of GHSAPTSD (Greyhound Separation Anxiety Post Traumatic Stress Disorder).  While not in the DSM, I am convinced it's a real thing.  Once one have lived through an experience of SA, any whiff of it can trigger a PTSD response.  At least for me that seems to be true :) which is why I am so encouraged to read stories such as your Carmen's of pups who may struggle with the transition, but do get it together without a long, laborious and oftentimes unrealistic-to-implement-with-fidelity alone training regiment.  

Sending lots of positive thoughts to your girls, and Carmen in particular, as well as to their mama and papa.

I think so too. Each day is better which is all I could hope for. 

Well we will keep sticking to a routine and training. Working on better leash manners as well here. They already know some basic commands so super smart pups.