I’m thinking of trying PRP for Gabe’s arthritis. 

He has a pinched nerve around the hinge of his spine which has caused sever abdominal seizures.  He also has bad arthritis affecting all joints, including a major loss of cartilage and muscle in his shoulders and hips. 

He still does well on Gabapentin and Meloxicam for the most part, but I’m looking for a more long term solution, and more solutions as he gets older as I know it will only get worse. 

His quality of life is still great at this point, he loves his walks and insists they be at least two hours a day.  But I can see he is in pain. (More dramatic pain if he doesn’t move around as much, so walks seem to do him good). 

I also use the back on track wraps and they worked wonders for him, but now the effectiveness seems less and less.  No doubt because of the scar tissue that is forming as his arthritis gets worse. 

He’s on cbd, and all the omega and glucosamine, MSM, and chondroitin supplements with bromelian and boswelia.  If I can trick him into eating devil’s claw I will try that as well. 

Laser therapy does not seem to do anything, and cartophen started to make him sick.  Too many meds in general make him sick which makes his arthritis flare up. 

FWIW, this past summer I looked into PRP for one of my dogs, and there is really no agreement about how effective (or not) it is.  Our issue was not as severe as your Gabe's, and we are managing it with meds, but as you appear to have exhausted most other options, it might be worth a try.

If you do move forward with PRP / Stem Cell, please let us know how it goes.

A few people here have used the Assisi Loop with success, and they will probably post to this thread, but in the meantime, you might want to search the H&M forum to find information.

PRP therapy is the new thing that some podiatrist are offering. I have numerous neuromas and one of my dr. Was offering it.I do know a person whose ortho Dr. Convinced him to try it for his knee. It did nothing! The research that I read said it was NOT effective in humans.so, I tend think it won't be that effective on canines.

Have you considered adding tramadol to your boy's cocktail? It helped Felix. Also adequan injections are prooven to help. Far less expensive and we did see a marked improvement  with the injections. . MSM & CROND. Supplements  did nothing for felix.  

Edited by cleptogrey

Acupuncture, chiropractic, Assisi Loop? You could also try Galliprant as it doesn't have the side effects that the other nsaids have. Violet has been on it for a while and it really helps her.

I talked with my Ortho about PRP for Violet's Achilles tendon injury, but it turned out she wasn't a good candidate for it and rest and PT was our best option. Having said that, I would have tried it if she were. His info was that there is some good evidence for PRP, but not so much stem cell treatments. 

Please report back if you go forward with it. I'm interested in hearing about people's experiences with it!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

1 hour ago, zimsmom said:

?cost of PRP?  I know in humans it is very expensive.  No insurance company will pay because there is limited studies if it works.  

I feel like it was going to be in the several thousand range if we did it with Violet, but my memory is really fuzzy. I am pretty sure Healthy Paws would have paid for it since it is a treatment being done by a vet. 

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."