Fear Aggression Towards Other Dogs ONLY Inside??

Hi All,

We have had our girl for two months now and are a little stumped as to this new issue that seems to have arisen.

She is absolutely fine with other dogs when outside, a little indifferent and happy to ignore them but if they approach her she will sniff them and greet politely. However, as soon as we get inside a house, even with a dog she's met outside already, she will start to growl, snarl and has lunged once or twice. I think this is her feeling insecure and a little trapped? She will growl whenever the other dog moves, not even in her direction, and I don't know how to help her. We thought she may be better with another greyhound but alas she was the same, growling and snarling at him.

When we adopted her we picked her up from a house with two other greyhounds and she seemed fine, the lady who we adopted her from didn't say she'd been growling, she muzzled her initially then removed it when she realised she was fine with the other two. (She was only in the house for that day, it was just more convenient for us to collect at the lady's house rather than the kennels). So she's clearly capable of being alright inside! I'm hoping that it's just that she's still adjusting to being a 'home dog' and is just finding her feet. But if anyone has experienced similar or has any advice on how to help her that would be very much appreciated!!

We would love to adopt another greyhound one day but not if she's going to feel insecure! Also just to note, we have never tried her inside our own home with another dog, only at stranger's homes.

Thank you so much in advance!

Is the body-language of the other dog(s) respectful?   Is her initial language to that dog respectful too?

Is your dog showing an hard eye, 'stink-eye' or a soft eye?

I think you must muzzle your girl if you go into someone's house where there is another dog and if it won't leave your dog alone (and they won't muzzle it) then take your dog out.

I'm sure others will chime in a little more hopefully.

34 minutes ago, JohnF said:

Is the body-language of the other dog(s) respectful?   Is her initial language to that dog respectful too?

Is your dog showing an hard eye, 'stink-eye' or a soft eye?

I think you must muzzle your girl if you go into someone's house where there is another dog and if it won't leave your dog alone (and they won't muzzle it) then take your dog out.

I'm sure others will chime in a little more hopefully.

Yes the other dogs have all been respectful, when inside they have all left her alone but she still growls at them, and yes with 'stink-eye'.

She is always muzzled if we visit another house with another dog, but we've never had any problems with the other dog not leaving her alone as they have all tended to move away from her and ignore her after the first growl.

Thanks for your input! 

19 minutes ago, MaryJane said:

Is the other dog also muzzled or is it just your dog?

Just my dog, the other dogs we visited (two were my dad's dogs on one occasion and he doesn't own muzzles for them) and the other occasion was a lady with another greyhound and she recommended trying my dog without her muzzle on, so both dogs were un-muzzled. But she is a professional and knows what she is doing which is why I trusted my grey without the muzzle, plus I was close by in case the other dog did get too close and something happened. I wouldn't let my dog go un-muzzled with anyone else though.