it looks like she's staying

cleptogrey

well, some of you may have picked up that joe and i have a new girl at the house by our post in the dewey blog. currently gwladys will be a long term foster until she has her litter of pups down the road. she finished her championship in record time, will have her heart, eyes, etc checked officially(the breeder is responsible for that). she just was getting the short end of the stick at the kennel and needed a home where people could give her attention and what she needed. 

we thought hard and long about another greyhound but felix was one of those dogs that was so special that we felt it was time to go with a different sighthound that is on our bucket list. that was the reason we adopted Jamie, who unfortunately ended up w/ lymphoma. so, was it going to be a galgo, whippet, not another saluki, pdenco, not a deerhound, i wish a borzoi but i'm way to allergic to their massive coat? NOT an IG for us, we are too ruff-n-tumble. or a mutt? we looked, discussed, looked, discussed.  so, we ended up hearing about  a female whippet from the same breeder as jamie. i did let the breeder know that i was not sure of how i was going to react, maybe i would fall apart upon meeting. that is what happened w/ my last saluki.  i wasn't sure. are we crazy? yes, jamie was the only one in his long lineage who had lymphoma. the rest of lived to good hearty ages of 13+. he had gone thru a couple of big moves prior to us adopting him. his owner died, boarding kennel, coming to us, who knows his immune system could have been off from the stress but he never showed it personality wise. one just doesn't know some things. 

our agreement is to let them breed gwladys on her second season and we can have a pup from the litter! we don't know what life will be like in a year+ from now. currently she is in season #1- she must have felt relaxed enough to come in. the breeder thought she wouldn't for at least 6 months with the change. just my luck! but she's exactly what the dr. ordered. sweet and  doesn't remind us of jamie or any of our other hounds. she is just very different than our past greyhounds who we all loved and adored. a gentle kind soul with unconditional love.and she loves loves loves obedience work- tabula rasa she has been waiting to be trained! she slipped into our routine instantaneously(up that's an art show at week 2) and is by far as easy as emily our first GH. and i thought i would never say that. so here's Gwladys, aka Minnie Mouse! 71503350_918693215171779_852907222106112 70797829_456610801732290_852819715583429

74385455_2674931052526194_56446235485814

:welcome  Hello Gwladys!

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

6 hours ago, MerseyGrey said:

Straight for the beer box! Is that why she fits in so well? :cheers. Congrats on your new pup, she ‘s beautiful

she's a dog of simple pleasures, give her a stick, a twig, a plastic bag and any sort of light weight box. oh, yes....coffee and beer residue are most delish to her!!!

Gwladys -- so you have a Welsh whippet instead of Welsh rabbit?   Congratulations!  Her markings are delightful.  But I'm confused -- long-term foster until when she is bred and has puppies, or will she be coming back to you along with one of her puppies?  Why was such a sweet and trainable dog not getting enough attention at the kennel?  What will you train her in for obedience?  Any agility in her future?  And how is Gwladys pronounced?  Like Gladys?  Inquiring minds want to know all.   

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

6 hours ago, EllenEveBaz said:

Gwladys -- so you have a Welsh whippet instead of Welsh rabbit?   Congratulations!  Her markings are delightful.  But I'm confused -- long-term foster until when she is bred and has puppies, or will she be coming back to you along with one of her puppies?  Why was such a sweet and trainable dog not getting enough attention at the kennel?  What will you train her in for obedience?  Any agility in her future?  And how is Gwladys pronounced?  Like Gladys?  Inquiring minds want to know all.   

i'll keep her after the litter and if i'm crazy enough one of the pups as well.thank god i won't have a litter of pups here. they would freeze to death if i had them in the winter. my house is way too cold. the kennel is set up for puppies, let them enjoy the squeaking pups all night ! you got it ellen, yup, at the kennel the alpha bitch didn't like her& she was the underdog.  the co-owner(dog show dogs are owned by who knows how many partners) had her for a couple of months and her older whippet wanted nothing to do with her. basically gwladys came to me nicely house broken, sleeps to 7 or later, good recall, excellent leash manners and sweet as can be. just tabula rasa as to experiences aside from shows. she has transitioned into being an only dog as if it was meant to be. yes to obedience, she's a natural and wants to please. yes, to agility- if i can find a cheaper place to train. it's $30 a night here in westchester for obedience, therapy dog, etc.she is ready for her CGC test. this dog is bomb proof, nothing barreling down the road rattles her. agility gets pretty $$$ when you put all of it together- thousands into training just to get ready to compete here in the NY area. so, i will need to see if i can find a cheaper place somewhere. 6 obedience lessons are $220+!!!! OUCH!!!! i know out in pa it's under $100 for a series of obedience or agility classes.  and yes, the welsh spelling is what she got- she's named for one of the outlander books: Dragonfly in Amber is part of her AKC name. this is ??? how you say it https://www.howtopronounce.com/gwladys/  she comes to the american version and a sharp loud COME! we tried minnie, eh,.....tried moose...?????....but she knows Gwladys and it's such a weird old fashioned name, why not? joe can't say gwladys, i spit it out, but for a recall name it's rather soft- but what ever- she's just what we needed. 

Edited by cleptogrey

Congratulations!

She's very cute. And perfect for you. :beatheart 

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13), Grey Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23)