dental and Amicar

Val is going to have a dental in a few weeks and my vet asked if I wanted to use Amicar since we know she is going to have extractions. I have never used it for dentals, although I did use it for Molly's spleen surgery. Not that it did her much good :( So, what does GT think? I am pretty sure when Conner had his last dental at a specialty dentist they did not use Amicar and he had around 18 extractions, with no problems.

Yes, but use the alternative that's cheaper/more readily available. Name is slipping my mind at the moment but someone else will know. Tranexamic acid! Just came to me 

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Some vets familiar with greyhounds just use it prophylactically whether the dog has a confirmed bleeding issue or not for routine surgeries (dentalas, neutering, etc).  If you have it available at a resonable price in your area there's really not a downside to using it, and quite a benefit if it's needed.  Tranexamic acid is also a possibility.  You need to begin giving it three to four days prior to the surgery date for it to be fully effective if you are using pills.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

• 3 weeks later...

We used it for Stewie when he had his dentals.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

On 11/1/2019 at 4:51 PM, Beachbum1 said:

Before Jagger had a dental, a blood test was done to determine if he had bleeding issues.

It came back negative, and he had no issues. 

Just an FYI-bleeder dogs typically have normal clotting times ..they clot but the clots break down prematurely making them bleed.  To also make things tough is they may have had multiple surgeries/ extractions in the past but, could still bleed after a future procedure.  So, one can never trust clotting profiles-really need to run TEG which is rarely done as it’s such a specialized piece of equipment. 
when in doubt give the Amicar or TA.

Or in Violet's case she urinated blood and blood clots, we think from stress from the procedure, but no one knows for sure. She's been through 2 dentals since and no issues thankfully, but we give both TA and Yunnan Baiyao proactively and we've changed the meds to reduce stress.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."