Hound growls when I try to take tennis ball

Buddy growls sometimes when we try to take his toys but it’s a kind of play growl. It’s different from the growl we get when he is intent on keeping whatever he has (which we thankfully haven’t heard very often), but this is accompanied by different body language - he is tense and stiff, with wide eyes and curling of his lips. It is scary and I don’t want to lose any digits so I have just walked away from him when he has done this. Playtime’s over.

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

Hi. Retrieving and handing over a toy isn't part of a greyhound's 'natural' makeup. Normally I'd suggest to train "Bring it" and "Drop it" cues with Positive Reinforcement, but some dogs are less interested in the training process. Why not have a second tennis ball to throw, or to swap for the first one? 

2 hours ago, mansbestfriend said:

Why not have a second tennis ball to throw, or to swap for the first one?

Or a small treat?

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Yes...swap the ball for something he likes even better than the ball.

Do a search on 'trading up'...

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

8 hours ago, BatterseaBrindl said:

Yes...swap the ball for something he likes even better than the ball.

Do a search on 'trading up'...

or exchange. always a higher quality item. your pockets will be filled w/ lots of strange treats. remember to check the pockets prior to wash!