CBD Oil??

Hi All,

My 12 year old, Al, has been suffering from decreased strength in his hind legs. He fell down the stairs a couple of months ago and never fully recovered. Our vet has him on a rotation of Prednisone and Ostifen. It seemed to help quite a bit for awhile but over the last two days he's been extremely unsteady and has fallen a couple of times. He's a large 80lb boy! A friend of mine suggested CBD oil. I searched the forum and there are a ton of discussions on it, but I haven't found one for his issue. Anyone have experience with this? I could purchase directly through a dispensary, I just don't know anything about it... Thank you!

Al's mom (Deanna)

CBD oil is the new "it" treatment for just about any issue, it seems.  It's a non-THC product of marijuana, that many people say helps a lot with nerve issues particularly.  Unfortunately there is zero scientific research or evidence to support this claim, due to federal restrictions on grants.

Anecdotally, it does seem to help with some individual issues in people (and dogs).  Many certainly swear by it.  There isn't any certain product for you to buy to help with a specific issue, you just have to use either a tincture (liquid drops). an edible, or a skin patch to deliver the material.  However, you have to be *really really* careful to get a quality product that actually contains CBD (many products that have been tested contain NO CBD whatsoever).  

There are, at least here in Oregon, many CBD products made specifically for dogs, usually for calming for storms or SA.  If you can purchase marijuana legally in your state, you probably have the same availability.  I've found the clerks in most dispensaries very helpful with figuring out which products to try.

You really won't know if CBD will help until/unless you try it out.  It may, or it may not, depending on what the underlying cause of his hind end weakness is.  Make sure you discuss this with your vet to determine of there will be any interactions iwth any of his other medications.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Check out https://www.animaleo.info/

These are essential oils developed by Melissa Shelton DVM. I've been to her seminar and it was awesome. She used to be with Young Living but left after seeing that purity was not as claimed. Dr Shelton lectures at vet schools, treats zoo animals as well, and her products are truly cat safe.

I'd suggest her New Mobility for Al. Although she has a Facebook page, animalEO, it's easier to look up and read about her products on the dot com page.

She has recently purchased a farm and wants to develop it as a retreat for vets and vet techs who needs a respite. And she is venturing into CBD products for animals as well although they are not available yet.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

16 hours ago, macoduck said:

Check out https://www.animaleo.info/

These are essential oils developed by Melissa Shelton DVM. I've been to her seminar and it was awesome. She used to be with Young Living but left after seeing that purity was not as claimed. Dr Shelton lectures at vet schools, treats zoo animals as well, and her products are truly cat safe.

I'd suggest her New Mobility for Al. Although she has a Facebook page, animalEO, it's easier to look up and read about her products on the dot com page.

She has recently purchased a farm and wants to develop it as a retreat for vets and vet techs who needs a respite. And she is venturing into CBD products for animals as well although they are not available yet.

Thank you! I will check her out. He seems to deteriorate exponentially. This morning he could barely get around and fell TWICE coming up one step to the front porch. :(

Have you checked out other possibilities, as well?  Depending on the reason for the weakness, one of them might help.  My Nutmeg had probable lumbar stenosis (LS), and these depo-medrol injections made an almost immediate and significant improvement the first 2x.  The 3rd time, no.  :(  We also tried various pain medications until we found a combo that reduced symptoms the most.  Others have found that adequan injections  helped their dogs' severe arthritis.  Something else that really made life easier on both Nutmeg (a tall girl who raced at 75  lbs) and me was an assistance harness.  Here's a link to a GreyTalk discussion about them:  GT assistance harness thread.  

Best wishes to you and Al, and keep us posted!  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

to avoid the knuckle scraping loosely bandaged vet wrap- change every other day to avoid fungus. an assistance harness was great on stairs, especially going down but on grass felix managed really well. it was those darn side walks- even though the walks were only 1 block long his knuckles were not happy. i have been staying away from CBD oil especially after i listened to a most informative talk by a vet on cancer care. dogs who were doing well w/ treatment crashed after the owners independently tried CBD. this was noted in the talk, then i wondered what else could be affected by it even when they are not taking chemo drugs.

w/ the LS that we dealt w/ both our welsh terrier and felix had it it was trial and error. adequan injections helped when felix was 10-11. after that, i just didn't have the funds for bi-weekly shots. gabapentin helped somewhat. willie had one steroid shot- by my old fashioned vet- it helped. but on a smaller dog they can compensate by double tracking(using both rear legs together). felix used metacam & tramadol. it's never easy watching your dog age. keep his weight down, it's easier on the rear. and enjoy your time together. 

Thank you everyone. We do have an assistance harness for him because he stopped being able to navigate stairs a couple of months ago. He has to literally be carried up and down by my husband. :unsure 

We’re going to the vet this morning. Hoping to get some answers. 

Thank you all for your replies. It is with the heaviest of hearts that I had to let my boy go yesterday. He had a large tumor on his hip and it was just too painful for him to walk. 😢 We held him close in front of the fireplace when the vet came and helped him cross the bridge. My heart is broken. 

0973017B-8D28-44A1-B5BC-12A627F9D320.jpeg

Edited by lovnmygreys
Add picture.

Your beautiful boy. I am so sorry. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

• 1 year later...

Found it interesting that in addition to other meds, our vet prescribed CBD oil. It’s in a dropper bottle. It’s hard to administer to a dog who hates it & didn’t seem to do diddly-squat. Not inclined to try any other CBD products at this point but I reserve the right to change my mind. 😁

I used to put a few drops on a treat for Conner when the thunders were booming, along with a bunch of other meds and stuff. I didn’t have any trouble getting him to eat it, but then Conner never met a food he didn’t like :lol. Except raw carrots. 

I take it myownself for arthritis pain and it seems to help, as an add on.

• 10 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Sorry for the late reply. I ran the largest cannabis analysis lab in the state for 4-1/2 years, although it's been a while. I can say that (at the time) "Bluebird" brand was reliably as labeled, every time. I do not know if they have maintained this level of credibility going forward.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)