Outdoor beds . . .

smt

I recently posted a question about bolster beds.  Now I have a question about outdoor dog beds/cushions.  This would be for a wood deck.  We want something that is rain/element proof.  Not sure an elevated bed is what we are after.  I worry that the pup won't take to it.  So, what do your dogs lie on outside, and how do they hold up to the elements (the cushions, not the dogs:)?

my long long time friend in houston 20+ year old https://kuranda.com  she has afghans and italian greyhounds. 

they withstand the sun, rain, heat. easy to hose off. she throws a crate mat on them and the dogs(including mine as visitors) have been very happy. when her dogs get older she will add a costco bed for extra padding. those beds are located in a dry spot. for longevity one can't beat it!

the metal copies do rust and the canvas tops do not withstand the weather. my daughter has a cheap outside- it was rubbish in a couple of years. but we only paid $14 for it.

I use outdoor furniture cushions and they work well.  I just bought chaise lounge cushions from Lowes for 12.49 each.  I cut off part and used the rest for a dog bed.  Foam inners, 4 inches thick.  Dogs love them!  I have them on our deck, on our screened porch and a set in our camping trailer.  They can get wet but they do get kind of gross after a year or so.  You can clean them and then ditch them for new ones when they go on clearance.  

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

https://www.chewy.com/coolaroo-steel-framed-elevated-pet/dp/53801

We have one of these and it's lasted forever.  I can't even remember when we bought it! Sometimes well sling an old Costco bed on it, but most of them seem to like the air movement once they get used to walking on a moveable surface.

We also have a bunch of old square Costco beds that made the move outside when they were too squished for inside use.  These are the old $19.99 ones, so we've had them for a while too.  They move around the deck easily,  and we just pile them up under the eaves when it rains.  For winter we cover them with the other furniture.  When they get gross we just throw them out and rotate more inside beds out, and buy new for inside.

We also salvaged some wooden packing pallets from the back of a store and put beds on them to keep them off the ground.  If we had a bigger deck I'd probably have more of those stacked up as all the dogs like to be elevated.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly