Sudden Anxiety after Stomach Issues

Hi everyone,

I adopted Sammy three months ago, after we lost our first grey Penny in late 2018. 

She's goofy, happy, outgoing, takes every new situation in stride - very different from our spooky girl Penny. 

She's been struggling with a stomach bug the past few weeks, but is finally feeling better. 

Yesterday on a walk, she started staring up into the sky. I thought she'd seen a bird or squirrel - but it continued as we walked home. Head up, walking with alarm and concern all over her face. 

I thought maybe a party or soccer game in the neighborhood had set her off (though she'd never batted an eye at those before). But at home, she continued to stare out the window, whining. As she went to bed, she stared at the ceiling. This morning on her walk, she was totally erratic, staring at the horizon and not caring a bit about the squirrels in her path, and now she's back to staring out the window with alarm. 

There are some benign explanations I can think of - the seasons are turning and she's never experienced this type of weather or light before and it's throwing her off. 

A scarier idea is that she's having some reaction to the Metradonazole she's been on for the past week. 

Anyone have any ideas or thoughts here? I'm a little worried. 

Has it been constant since it started?

My first greyhound would have very strange episodes like that. Best we could figure was it was gas. It could be something like that, especially if she's now stopped up. Has she had a bowel movement recently? If you suspect gas, you could give her a gas-x to see if that helps. 

If this has been going on non stop since it started then I might think about the vet. At least call first thing tomorrow.

You could also look into Purina Calming Care. It's a probiotic for gut health that's also been shown to have anxiety relieving effects.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I would call your vet.  It's rare, but metro *can* cause neurological issues.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly