Weekend at Logan's

I've had a DSLR for a few years, never got around to learning to use it beyond the auto modes. So last weekend had had it out down in the park learning to use it in manual mode. This weekend was cloudy/threatening rain, so Logan was the unfortunate victim of my practicing. Rather than posting a bunch of pics, here is the smugmug album link. As you'll see, after a hard afternoon laying on the grass in the backyard, he had to crash on the couch for a while :-)

https://m13.smugmug.com/Weekend-2019-Sept-28-29

Also, while browsing the memory card, ran across a few pictures from October 2016 (I guess the last time I used the camera), including this one of Max. He would have been just over 12 when this was taken. It perfectly shows his raised ears and attentive face. The paper plate in front of him would have had a smear of peanut butter, his favorite treat by far...

IMG_0001-L.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Rob

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

:wub:  Logan!!  :wub:

I have a dslr camera I got specifically to take pics of the dogs.  I used it a lot for about 2 years, and then camera phones became as good (or in some cases better) and *much* more portable!  Haven't even gotten the bag out of the junk room for several years now (I should probably sell it or something!).

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I agree completely that cellphone cameras are good enough for shots of dogs, people, etc. I have two greatly enlarged photos printed on something like 19x12" paper in my office, one each of Logan and Max. They were taken with my Galaxy S7 cellphone, and are so good you can see the individual hairs on both dogs, colors are perfect, etc.

What kind of interests me is playing around with the less standard photography you can do with a DSLR. For example, you can do long exposures to allow for low light or night photography, set fast shutter speeds for freezing action, telephoto lenses for distance shots, get better close-ups of small stuff, things like that. Not sure whether I will really get into it, but since I have the camera already figure I might as well be using it.

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

Oh, yes, you can tell this was a real high energy weekend.  I like how the first and last shots were of Logan stretched out flat on the grass, and then there was every possible position in between.  :)  

Max -- There's nothing more handsome than a glossy black dog.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Even lying down, Logan worked hard on his modelling.  :beatheart

That's a great shot of Max. :beatheart 

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13), Grey Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23)