Hygiene for raw feeding

Eugene

I'm planning on feeding a mixture of raw food and dry food for my greyhound and was wondering if its necessary to wipe their mouth after they eat?

They will be fed the raw food outside but I'm just worried of the spread of bacteria when they come into the home and have their face all over the sofa etc.

Apologies if this sounded silly but was wondering what you would do or will they lick it clean themselves or maybe leave them outside for awhile before coming into the home?

Thanks in advance

No worries! Been feeding raw for years-all kinds-and never a problem. Use common sense preparation for e.g. I clean the counters with Chlorox clean up after I fix their food etc. but that is pretty much it. Their bowls get washed in my dishwasher with my regular dishes.  I don't feed chicken raw though because I really don't trust chicken.  Feed everything else though including lots of turkey. One thing to be careful of is to make sure you feed the raw and the dry in separate feedings a couple hours apart.  Raw goes through their system pretty quick. It is supposed to. That is why they don't get sick from it. It is pooped out before it can hurt them. On the other hand the dry food is designed to stay in their system in order to give them the opportunity to extract as many nutrients as possible from it because it is so much less nutritious than the raw among other things.  If you feed it together it could cause an issue by slowing down the digestive process for the raw food and keeping any pathogens in their system long enough to maybe cause something. Now honestly- you might be able to feed it together forever with no problems. Or you might not. I just know that when this info was presented to me I thought it sounded reasonable and adopted the practice and in ~20 years of raw feeding have never had a problem. Raw is clearly the best IMO. You should see how beautiful my dogs teeth are! But anyway you can bring them right back in your home and they will not contaminate it.

If you are feeding raw food that has been processed and might have bacteria (like hamburger), then you might consider washing the dog's mouths IF there immune-compromised people living in the same household that will be petting or hugging the dogs. Immune compromised people could include those on chemo, older people, or very young children.