Purina Calming Care

Robin1017

Searching around the internet last night about things to help Calvin's anxiety, as I often do, and I came across Purina Calming Care, a daily probiotic supplement with a specific strain of probiotic to help with anxiety.  Apparently it came out late last year and it looks like it's prescription-only.  It says it can take 6 weeks to see an effect, which is one box.  The box is a bit pricy, $49.99 on chewy.com, but if you order directly from https://www.proplanvetdirect.com/ there's a $10 off your first order code.  And I gotta say, if it helps, that's not so expensive that it wouldn't be worth it.

Has anyone tried this?  The reviews are surprisingly good, both on chewy and on that website I just linked to.  I'm thinking it might be worth trying, but I was curious if anyone here had tried it yet.   I've tried so many other things, and he's much better than he used to be, but I haven't found anything that really helped much, honestly.  Thoughts?

Edited by Robin1017
got a fact wrong
Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

I haven't tried that product specifically, but have been impressed with the foods in the Pro Plan line that say they have specific benefits, like Bright Mind, Focus etc.  Reviews and reports from other owners are really good, and our own experience with the Large Breed Focus was so good when Rocket ate it, that we are now feeding it to Kate and Petunia since the "senior food" we were using was discontinued. They are both doing great on it. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

We tried it with our own dog and on a foster who definitely had SA - I don't think it made much of a difference. Ultimately probiotics are a good choice, but I'm unconvinced that this particular one had a calming effect on either dog.

Also, I noticed that the probiotic we always buy (Pet Ultimates Probiotics) from Amazon has that same particular strain of "calming" bacteria used in the prescription brand. Obviously, there's a difference between the tested/guaranteed nature of a prescription product and a OTC you get online - which is probably fine but hasn't been tested, but with my experience with it, there wasn't enough to justify paying for the prescription.

We started using it to see if it could help with Dakar's separation anxiety, we're on our second box and I do think it has made a difference coupled with consistent alone training. 

We started seeing a difference around the 4 week mark, he seemed more dog like if that makes sense, more playful, less shy around strangers, and while he still wasn't happy about being left alone, he was doing better. 

Try a box and see if it makes a difference, if it doesn't you may be out $50, but at least you gave it a shot.