Getting a GH as a single working person

LiamN

Would you support the idea of a greyhound companion for a single person that works and wouldn't be home M-F 830am-530pm? The rest of the time the GH can sit and sleep on top of me for all I care. Please let me know if you need more details. 

(Also, lets assume I can't find someone to take him/her out midday for a pee/poo break)

Sure.  As long as you commit to spending time with your dog the rest of the hours of the day, getting them adequate exercise and socialization, and keeping them generally happy and healthy.  Lots of single people do exactly that quite successfully.  It's called living a real life with a dog - any dog, not just greyhounds.

But, be aware, that a lot of adoption groups are (IMO) overly protective and will not adopt a dog into those circumstances.  It's just cutting off their nose to spite their face, again, IMO.  So you may need to be extra persuasive, or ask around in your area for a more realistic adoption group.

When you find one that will work with you, make sure they know that you need a dog who will be OK being by himself for most of the day.  Especially if you live in an apartment, you need a dog with no, or easily workable separation anxiety.  A group that fosters their dogs will know this better than a kennel based one.

Good luck!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I adopted my first while working 8+ hours a day with an hour commute on either end. Group had no issue with that. Jet had no issue with that.

My neighbors came home mid day for lunch and asked if I wanted them to let Jet and Ryan out. I said sure. Ryan often went out. Jet usually didn't get off my bed  LOL  Some dogs are ok all day without a break, others may not be. Jet was bombproof and adopted to anything and everything.

I'm a single person and have left Grace  from 7:30 to 4:30 on a couple of occasions with no problem.  In my opinion girls can last longer between toilet breaks than boys and Grace often only goes twice a day. You might want to also look out for an independant hound who doesn't suffer from SA (separation anxiety)

Grace is quite an independent girl who isn't the most affectionate of hounds, she won't come for a bit of fuss and will ignore me most of the time but does keep an eye on what I'm doing. If I've only left her for a couple of hours all she does when I get home is to open an eye to see if I've got a treat for her but she bounces with joy when I return from work.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

There are two of us, but we leave Buddy each day for 8-9 hours. In fact, I think we need to leave him for a certain amount of time, otherwise he doesn’t get enough beauty sleep. We had to stretch the truth a little during our home assessment and said that we would consider arranging for someone to come in during the day to let him out, but he doesn’t need it since he sleeps all day. I’m not sure he even gets up for a drink. When we’re at home at the weekend, or if I take time off during the week, he either follows us around or at the very least, he lays awake watching us. 

For Buddy who is quite a clingy creature, it’s not so much about being left alone, it’s disruption of routine that he can’t cope with. So, each dog is very different and the advice above is spot on. You just have to do the best you can to get a dog who is the best fit for you. Good luck!

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

I'm a singleton, too. Right now I have Gino, who has some SA. I find he does WORSE if I come home and then leave again. He is convinced I'm going to leave him permanantly and goes on a destructive spree after barking his head off. My Johnny was an only until I got Gino, he had a few problems, mostly related to noise outside rather than being alone.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Yep, lots of people do it.  But Greysmom is spot on about the adoption groups and finding a dog who is OK with it (most of them are).

Once our routine was established, if I come home early Lila is like, "What are you doing here? It's not time yet."

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

That is about the schedule (more like 10 am to 7 pm) that Logan has been on for six years now, got a dog sitter that just lets him out around noonish. He sometimes urinates at noon, but virtually never does a BM. We do walk about a mile in the morning before work, and an hour or two in the evening, and that is when he usually does his business. AFAIK he just sleeps all day.

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

My first grey did fine on that routine.  She was a bounce from another family, and it was already established that she was ok at home by herself.   Eventually, I added a dog door and a second grey.  :)  

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I too am single. I adopted my first when I was working.  She did fine. But I always felt she was a bit lonely during the day.  A year later I got a second.  And a dog door. I've had at least 2 since.

Many people are opposed to dog doors. But in 24 years of having greys I've never had any issues with the dog door.  If they needed to stay in, I simply locked it.

• 4 weeks later...

Having had a few fosters with some SA issues, I just want to say that this thread is SO refreshing.  I have not been involved in the world of greyhound's long enough to get a real sense of what percentage of dogs can transition to solo pet/left alone for stretches of time with relative ease, and I am keenly interested in this question.  Thank you for illuminating that these pups CAN be fine alone for long stretches of time without worry on behalf of the dog parent and distress on behalf of the dog.

No problem being single and working 8-10 hrs/day.  I do it.  On my off days we go to the dog park and when I leave for work I make sure their bowls are full, radio is on, light is on and they get longer lasting chewy treats.  (I also put out pee pads just in case - my 2 are older pups).

2013-Beach-2.jpg

Mimi- mom to Burdette (KB's Burdette), Sophie (LL's Stupid Is) and bridge babies Kelsey (Kelso's Logo), Sterling (Cold B Tiger), Fritz, Tasha, Chloe and Molly