Oral prescriptions for fleas/heartworm - what's safe?

amystella

Our recently adopted girl has some hook and tapeworms; our area is hot and there's a lot of fleas this time of year. The topical treatment doesn't seem to be enough for her, so the vet recommended Credelio. Before using it however, my concern is the FDA warnings that some dogs have had averse neurological reactions from this and other oral prescriptions such as Nexgard. The foster parents who had our girl for her first week off the track use Trifexis on their Grey and love it. 

Has anyone had positive or negative experiences with either of these products? Hoping for some feedback from other Grey owners before I start a new treatment for her. Thank you so much!

Neurological issues are a possibility no matter what treatment you choose, so my opinion is just to try one - maybe one she has had in the past - and see what happens.  FWIW we have used Trifexis without any trouble and it takes care of everything.   The potential damage from fleas/ticks/heartworm almost completely outweighs any risk taken on in getting rid of them for me.  Use what's most effective for your dog in your area for your particular problem.

Hookworms have been particularly resistant to treatment lately so look over the various threads here to get an idea of what you're in for.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

My pups of varying ages have been on Nexgard for several years without issue. 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

On 9/11/2019 at 5:28 PM, greysmom said:

Neurological issues are a possibility no matter what treatment you choose, so my opinion is just to try one - maybe one she has had in the past - and see what happens.  FWIW we have used Trifexis without any trouble and it takes care of everything.   The potential damage from fleas/ticks/heartworm almost completely outweighs any risk taken on in getting rid of them for me.  Use what's most effective for your dog in your area for your particular problem.

Hookworms have been particularly resistant to treatment lately so look over the various threads here to get an idea of what you're in for.

I agree. Whatever treatment you use it is a balance between poisoning the little invaders but not enough to harm the dog. Ask yourself how many dogs have used these treatments with no problems and how few have had adverse neurological reactions. 

I use Simparica which I get from my vets and Grace has had no ill effects from it.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time