My dog cries if I squeak a squeaky toy.

Hello collective, 

I adopted an ex racer last weekend and although she's terrified of everything, she's started to settle in to our house and routine. 

I have two squeaky toys for her, a caterpillar and a monkey. If I squeak either of these toys, she cries as if she's sad and always comes to check the toy afterwards, especially the monkey. She has started crying when I wave the arm of the monkey at her. She licks the monkey's ears quite a bit. 

Should I be worried? It just seems odd, is all. 

This is not odd and nothing to be worried about. Your dog has been home a very short time. Everything is new and scary to her. Just leave her be and give her time to adjust.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Put the toys away for a while.

Some Greyhounds never get interested in them anyway.  She's so new and has such a high level of anxiety that you need to be super patient with her, and give her a lot more time to settle into her completely new living situation. 

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly