Nail trimming

Warning: New Greyhound Mommy here! : )

I have rescued a retired racer girl 6 weeks ago today and I have not bought anything to trim her nails yet.
What is the BEST tool to take care of this efficiently, and with NO pain? I have had animal babies (not dogs) that hated their nails trimmed/clipped and I don't even know how she will be and what would be least annoying...

Thanks, in advance!

Check out nail maintenance for dogs on facebook.  Lots of great info especially on using a Dremel.

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020

I use clippers, but have to admit that I do nip a quick every once in a while.  We all live through it.  :)  Much less of a chance with this with a dremel.  With either one, training the dog to associate the tool and the process with positive things is important.  First reward her for just being next to the clipper/dremel.  Then for letting you touch her paw with it.  Letting you handle her paws.  Trimming one claw.  Reward reward reward.  High value treats, yummy ones that she doesn't get every day.

I trim every week or two.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Oh wow, every week or two!!?!??!? I had no idea! It's been 6 weeks that she had them trimmed the day I got her....before they released her. They seem quite short still, probably due to daily (2 / day) walks on asphalt :( and she hasn't walked in days now since she's post surgery this week.

I wonder if a trim IS DUE now....thank you!

Unfortunately I let Grace's nails get to long and she now is having her nails trimmed every two weeks to get the quick to recede. I use a dog groomer near me as it's easier for me to hold her steady whilst the groomer does the clipping and she only charges £5.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Our groomer mostly does it too, but when I have done it, I’ve caught the quick a couple of times too. I think that the nail feels a bit more ‘spongy’ where the quick is but you will only know this when you put a bit of pressure on it.  Dudu is a good indicator too, as he is generally very good at having his nails clipped, but he pulls away if it’s uncomfortable. I think that most greyhounds who have been racing dogs are probably used to having their nails clipped as their trainers will want to keep them trimmed.

You can gat styptic pencils to stem any blood flow but flour works just as well at stopping it.

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

Oh wow, every week or two!!?!??!? I had no idea!

That's just my preference.  I like having a routine that the dogs expect and accept.  Plus, doing it often means only having to trim a little bit instead of big ol' chunks.  Since I use clippers and not a dremel, a little bit at a time means I don't have to apply as much force.  More comfortable for me and the dogs.  

I looked up the American Kennel Club breed standard once for greyhounds:  it includes a "strong, stout claw."  No kiddin'.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I trim my dogs nails every week. Using the Dremel it takes only a few minutes and I only take a small amount off. Every couple of nails they get a small piece of hotdog. One of my hounds runs to his bed a lays down when he sees the hotdogs!

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020

The Dremel 8050 is ideal for nail maintenance. It's currently on sale at a number of Lowe's stores.

There's an attachment for the Dremel called Diamagroove that is expensive but works really well.

It's a good idea to trim frequently, since long nails can predispose greyhounds to corns.