Hair Loss

I didn't see anything about this on the forum, so I'll pose the question.  Our 2 yo female has been with us for a little over three months.  She has settled in well and has made herself at home.  Over the time we've had her, she seems to be losing hair on her rear end.  The fur on the upper portions of her back legs and her butt seem to be getting thinner.  Maybe I just recently noticed it, but the condition seems to be advancing more rapidly recently.  Is this a seasonal thing, a normal aging thing, or what?  FWIW, she is solid tan, no brindle.

Sounds normal for a greyhound.  Some have bald butts and some don't.  Buy her a butt wig. ;) :lol::lol:

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Greyhounds are known for having bald thigh syndrome. It’s generally nothing to worry about. If you’re very concerned have your vet run some bloodwork. 5 mg daily of melatonin has worked for some to regrow fur if you want to for cosmetic reasons. 

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Grace is in the bald butt club.

I add Lintbells Yumega Dog which is rich in Omega 6 and Omega 3 to her food which helps keep her coat in good condition and helps to reduce the hair loss but she still has a bare behind. The best option is to just to accept it as another quirk and love it.

If you do have bloods done make sure your vet is greyhound savvy as their thyroid reading is lower than other breeds of dog and a lot of greyhounds are on medication for it when they don't need to be.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

It could just be normal shedding. An alarming amount of fur can come off of these dogs! It happens seasonally here but moving into a home from the track/kennel can trigger it. Give it some time, she might grow back a lovely new coat.

Edited by Jerilyn
Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

dogs do blow coats according to daylight from what i have observed. in feb. when the days are starting to lengthen mine have been full winter shed  getting ready for their spring/summer coats. it's not the tempt. it's that amount of daylight...but if you are going to the vet in the near future you can always check thyroid levels.

• 3 weeks later...

Our male grey had the same thing happen to him - after about 6 months with us he started losing his hair on his butt.  after a year and a half, he has a babboon butt!  our vets say it is somewhat common, that it probably won't grow back ever.  He is healthy otherwise, and is a blood donor so we're comfortable he's not ill.  Vet did suggest we could switch up his diet to see if it could be a food alergy. But we didn't want to risk changing his diet when he eats well, has regular firm stools and is doing well.

Chalk it up to greyhound-pattern-butt-baldness - I just coined that!

Cheers.