Intermittent soft poop

So, my first post (other than my intro) on GreyTalk--and it's about poop!  Oh well, ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I've been loving reading the info in all the forums here, so I'm hoping someone can weigh in on this poop issue.

I have two staghounds, 3-year-old littermates Kaja and Potter.  We've had Kaja 6 months, Potter 1 (she was a bounce because she couldn't deal with her adoptive family's busy kids and living near an airport, so then we got her).  Both are somewhat timid girls but definitely not spooks. My concern is that both of them have occasional days of soft poop--not really diarrhea, I guess, they never need to go out urgently and don't poop other than at their regularly-scheduled times, but may poop 2-3 times in one outing and it's quite loose, or often go just once and it's more "soft serve."  The first time it happened with Kaja I thought it was maybe her oral flea/tick or heartworm meds, but it's hasn't been correlated with those since then.  Then we got Potter in July and she has the same thing, only more frequently.  Both eat Nutrisource Chicken and Rice, with either a little soft food or some meat from our dinner mixed in.  I've seen no correlation with what we mix in, nor with any treats (they get occasional Kong treats and one small greeny-type bone a day).  They are leash-walked with one or two dog park visits a week, but those aren't correlated with the poop issue either, so I don't think they're eating crap (although Kaja will hoover up whatever she finds when she walking on a leash in our woods if I'm not fast enough to stop her). Neither seems to feel bad when the poo issue happens--still eating, playing, etc., which is why I haven't talked to the vet yet. I usually just do half hamburger/rice, half dog food for a day or so and things go back to normal.

So...is this normal?  Maybe I'm just spoiled by my previous staghound Keira, who had an iron stomach and perfectly predictable poop?  

Since it's happening with both of them, my first thought would be something normal for *them.*

Second thought is to have them checked, and possibly prophylacticly treated, for parasites.

Third, do they get any sort of daily probiotic with their meals?  It's also possible  they just need more consistent fiber in their diet.  You can add things like Metamucil (no xylitol), green beans, oat bran, beet pulp, or other high fiber foods - but they need to be consistently added.

Fourth, does it happen after either a long play session, OR a more extended wait time between potty breaks?  Both actions can cause the poop that's already processed to get sort of - overcooked?  Sorry.  TMI.  But having a full bowel can mean the contents do get more beaten up and softened before exiting the body.  If you get what I mean.  ;)

In any case, this should be discussed with their vet, as it could also be something that needs medical intervention. 

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Thanks for the suggestions!  They were both checked for parasites when they came into the rescue (they were failed coyote hunters) and both are on monthly oral heartworm/internal parasite preventative, so hopefully it's not parasites.  They don't get any probiotics or fiber, so I should definitely look into that. The poop issues don't happen after any particular activity, and their potty breaks are pretty regular.  Hmm, sounds like I need to give the vet a call tomorrow...

I highly recommend Olewo Carrots. They calm the digestive system and firm up the poop. Completely natural and organic. Just add hot water and some good oil like coconut oil and let it soak. Can make it as dry or soupy as you like.

I have been using them for 5 years with great results. My hounds love them. When I first used them I posted on Greytalk about it. I got a call from one of the owners of Olewo USA. She wanted to let me know that she suddenly was getting a lot of phone calls and orders from greyhound people. We talked for an hour. Lovely woman named Ina.

I have recommended them so much they sent me 50 pounds to use a samples.

You can get them from Chewy or Amazon. My Carter is on their testimonial page and a video I made of my hounds eating them is on their Facebook page.

I love this product!

26 minutes ago, lukasmom said:

I highly recommend Olewo Carrots. They calm the digestive system and firm up the poop. Completely natural and organic. Just add hot water and some good oil like coconut oil and let it soak. Can make it as dry or soupy as you like.

I have been using them for 5 years with great results. My hounds love them. When I first used them I posted on Greytalk about it. I got a call from one of the owners of Olewo USA. She wanted to let me know that she suddenly was getting a lot of phone calls and orders from greyhound people. We talked for an hour. Lovely woman named Ina.

You can get them from Chewy or Amazon. My Carter is on their testimonial page and a video I made of my hounds eating them is on their Facebook page.

I love this product!

I just tried them recently for a diarrhea episode with my Odin, and they really work.  It seems to me that the volume of poop has increased but I guess that is due to the added bulk.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

On 8/21/2019 at 11:59 PM, FuzzyHounds said:

I'll have to try the carrots, thanks! Eew, I hope it's not giardia!  My dad got that from a river in New Mexico...not fun!  Do giardia symptoms come and go?

Unfortunately it can indeed be intermittent.

On 8/21/2019 at 8:32 AM, lukasmom said:

I love this product!

I'm a new grey mommy and I have the same issue. My little girl has had pretty much soft poop ONLY for the 6 weeks I've had her (maybe 3 firm poops total) until she was just spayed this week...and the medication constipated her :'(

Thank you for the recommendation! My question is: why give this product instead of carrots (fresh or cooked)? Would carrots in their natural state not work?

I will try carrots for her, of course, and let you know! : ) but I thought I'd ask...

On 8/24/2019 at 10:56 PM, NeelaGrey said:

Thank you for the recommendation! My question is: why give this product instead of carrots (fresh or cooked)? Would carrots in their natural state not work?

I will try carrots for her, of course, and let you know! : ) but I thought I'd ask...

I have no idea about the answer to your question other than...it’s witchcraft!*  But we started Buddy on these Olewo carrots about a week ago and can confirm it works. After just over a year of running home from walks to wash hands vigorously whilst trying not to scratch our noses, Buddy now has fully formed, pickupable poops. Even the ones in the long grass! It’s a miracle! I wish I’d tried them sooner but we couldn’t get hold of them easily. I’m stocking up before Brexit happens and we all turn feral.

*it’s probably not really witchcraft, more likely something to do with science - I’m going for high fibre content or the fact that they are dehydrated. Even though you rehydrate them, maybe they require more liquid to digest and consequently that fluid is used rather than passing through and creating the hated super soft poop. That’s where my money is.

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

On 8/24/2019 at 4:56 PM, NeelaGrey said:

I'm a new grey mommy and I have the same issue. My little girl has had pretty much soft poop ONLY for the 6 weeks I've had her (maybe 3 firm poops total) until she was just spayed this week...and the medication constipated her :'(

As far as the Olewo carrots vs regular carrots, the Olewo carrots are processed and then dehydrated into pellets, so when they are digested they sort of integrate into everything. Whereas little bits of actual carrot (especially uncooked) are just going to pass right through, pretty much untouched. I can't say whether you cooked carrots and then fed them mashed to your dog if that would work as well? But I think the dehydrated nature also helps absorb excess moisture in their intestines as well.

They definitely work great for our hound :)

The reason why the work and raw carrots don't is that dogs teeth are designed to tear at meat, not grind food like cows do. The carrots just pass thru them with no benefit. Olewo is great. I wanted to get them to have a booth at GIG but they couldn't spare the time. 

• 2 weeks later...

I tried firming up with yogurt, pumpkin, rice and nothing worked. Now, first time I hear about these carrots and I will add them to my next Chewy parcel. What really, really helped me was Slippery Elm Bark. 

My dog has a very sensitive stomach. I believe he is sensitive to any fish products, and he is starting to do better on raw food. On his better days he would have one firmish poop and diarrhea next. I stopped using all fish products and started giving him slippery elm bark diluted in a little warm water and yogurt twice a day. It firmed up his poop overnight. Once it was consistent I cut the dose to once a day, slightly less than the recommended dose and he is doing great. 

9 minutes ago, smt said:

Must the carrots be rehydrated, or will they do the job of firming up poops without going through that step?  

I haven’t tried giving them dry,  i think someone else posted that they will make your dog bloated because they will rehydrate and expand in your dog’s tummy. I rehydrate mine with boiling water and use less than the recommended amount, and it takes about two minutes (but they must be cool when you feed your pup. I find that if I mix them around with the kibble they cool down quite quickly).

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

3 hours ago, smt said:

Must the carrots be rehydrated, or will they do the job of firming up poops without going through that step?  

I would say that they should be hydrated prior to eating. We've done both and the pellets just sort of rehydrate in their poop, but don't become integrated at all. So there's little bits of orange carrot that you can plainly see but it really helps when it's thoroughly spread throughout their stool.

Edited by Bizeebee