What food now?

cgs

Started him on the Hills food 4 days ago--just a quarter scoop on top of white rice. (Normal meal is 2 scoops each meal). Things were going well until today, when he started doing that squatting and trying to poop thing again. That hasn't happened since the original vet visit. He's had some diarrhea since then but not the weird squatting and not being able to poop thing that the vet said was inflammation. *sigh*

This seems like a longshot, but the first episode of this was a couple weeks after his first ever Heartgard does. Prior to that, we'd been using Advantage Multi. So that was in July. Next Heartgard dose in August but by then he was on bland diet and medicine. His poop had gotten better, but then worse again about 10 days later. Now he got his Sept dose and here we are again, a week to 10 days later. The delayed onset makes me think it's not Heartgard, but I think I'll go back to Advantage in October. 

For now, back on chicken and rice, still giving flagyl intermittently--once or twice a week. Going to look into Tylan, which a friend uses for her dogs that had chronic diarrhea that they couldn't figure out. I need to find some other food though. He was on chicken and rice for a month and I feel like we were starving him. He didn't have as much energy on his morning walk and started looking for dinner by 4pm. Once he had just a little bit of kibble, he wasn't looking for dinner until the usual time of 5:30 or 6. 

Just looked back at my first post and it wasn't until the end of July that he had a problem, so that would be a month after Heartgard, not a week to 10 days. Still, I'll go back to Advantage Multi next month. I still have some left. 

• 1 month later...

Didn't give Percy Heartgard in October and everything was fine. Went back to it this month, so we'll see in the next week or so how things are. The vet said it could be the Heartgard. In the meantime, he's been on the Hills diet and now gets Basmati rice twice a day as well, which seems to be the secret to good poop. We tried brown rice, white rice, uncle ben's rice, but basmati is the winner. 

have you considered straight IVOMEC vs heart guard? one does not inject it, it's 1cc per 10#s i believe- i have to look it up every month. i put it in some canned food. jamie's breeder turned me on to it. i believe that carol from God's GREYTs uses it as well, we discussed it at GIG. the most affordable way with out other ingredients to upset the hound. 

https://www.amazon.com/Ivomec-50-Milliliter-Btl-Injection/dp/B074MJ9D7Q/ref=pd_sim_199_2/146-7126711-7758263?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B074MJ9D7Q&pd_rd_r=23f13c6e-157f-4746-a811-59de4516e6f2&pd_rd_w=ZjLmr&pd_rd_wg=GERhE&pf_rd_p=5abf8658-0b5f-405c-b880-a6d1b558d4ea&pf_rd_r=GHMYCM0JCP6FKQN478Q7&psc=1&refRID=GHMYCM0JCP6FKQN478Q7