Surgery to cut a tendon from a toe with a corn.

Seems a bit drastic. I'm guessing you've explored other solutions, hulling out the corn, etc. Can't they cut (or botox) the nerve instead so he/she can still use the toe?

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

3 hours ago, kronckew said:

Seems a bit drastic. I'm guessing you've explored other solutions, hulling out the corn, etc. Can't they cut (or botox) the nerve instead so he/she can still use the toe?

It's a new procedure pioneered by Dr. Mike Guilliard. You can read about it here:

https://www.mikeguilliard.co.uk/copy-of-dysplasia-article-1

People are reporting successful outcomes with corns that haven't responded to other treatments.

I don't know of any vets in Florida who perform the surgery, but Dr. Guilliard is willing to consult with other surgeons.

If you're on Facebook, please join the group "Greyhounds with Corns."  There's loads of information there on the Tenotomy procedure, and many owners there have now had it done with great - short term - success.  You can also ask about specific vets who have performed the surgery.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

10 hours ago, Victor said:

It's a new procedure pioneered by Dr. Mike Guilliard. You can read about it here:

https://www.mikeguilliard.co.uk/copy-of-dysplasia-article-1

People are reporting successful outcomes with corns that haven't responded to other treatments.

This. 

We’ve discussed the proc with our vet and would strongly consider it for one of mine. 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I have tried everything. He had surgery six months ago where they went deep in and pulled the root but it came back even stronger now with the limping. He does not even want the therapaw boot on. When I touch his paw he pulls back so quickly. This is why I am seriously considering the Antonomy procedure. I cannot see him like this in pain again.

I have given all the information to my vet and she is reading up on it.  I hull her corn regularly but it just keeps getting bigger and bigger.  I really believe she would be happier with a sprung toe than the boots and the constant foot issues.  My husband is leary of the procedure.  It shall be interesting to see what my vet concludes.  

Good luck with your boy - we feel your pain. 

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

FWIW my boy has a naturally occurring sprung toe on his one back foot.  It doesn't impact his ability to run and play and do regular dog things.  We do protect that foot with a boot when we have to walk on pavement or hard surfaces.  And the corn that was on that toe did indeed disappear - of course, it didn't do anything for the corns on his other toe!  And that's the issue as far as I'm concerned - what do you do then if you a) have corns on multiple toes and/or multiple feet, and b) will the surgery *cause* a corn to errupt on that foot?  We just don't know yet as this surgery has only been performed on a large basis for the last year or so.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I just spoke to my vet in Florida and he has confirmed that he does not conduct the procedure but referenced me to another vet who may know but not 100% sure. Has anyone ever done this procedure on their greyhound in Florida? If yes, please let me know with whom so I can get additional information and most likely proceed with it. My baby is miserable and I cannot sit back and do nothing.

• 3 months later...

My greyhound has a missing nail from a racing accident on digit 3 front left foot. A corn formed on her pad. We had it surgically removed but it came right back. It has been suggested we amputate the toe. She limps and often carries her foot completely. She walks better on the grass. Once she starts running in the grass she seems normal although a trained eye would certainly notice something off in her gait. We live in Stuart, Florida. Lacey is 4. I have filed it down but it doesn’t seem to help much. Anyone have any success with a digit 3 amputation in a front foot?

Edited by Rach
Needed to add more

Regardless of what you decide, I'd encourage joining the facebook group. People may have solutions you haven't tried or vets to recommend, whatever route you choose. We're fighting the corn fight at our home, so my sympathies and I know it's hard to see them in pain.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

5 hours ago, Rach said:

Joined the group. So many solutions. I think I am going to try the bee propolis and Burts Bees salve. The epsom salt soak looks doable for our calm grey girl Lacey. Thanks for the suggestion.

I think you're right to go down the non surgical route. You will find a lot of recommendations on the Facebook group and elsewhere for a tendonectomy. My concern is that with one toe now not weight bearing the other toes are having more pressure put upon them which could cause more corns. 

My poor Grace suffers with multiple corns and after three months of applying double strength Bazuka (a gel used to treat corns and warts in humans) , mostly once a day, she is down to only having a couple left which are a lot smaller and she is starting to walk on the pavements normally. :yay

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Good news about your Grace. After seeing what other folks and their dogs are dealing with I feel fortunate that Lacey has only one (for now). I will keep updating on the forum, as we choose and implicate a non surgical solution. I will look into Bazuka.

Personally, if your greyhound is in that much pain, I'd have the surgery performed. The fb group thread is full of success stories, and since the pad is not involved, many walk without pain right away.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I have been looking the FB group allot. I copied and pasted this so I could share it here as well: I am wondering if this corn, which is nearly a quarter inch in diameter, is too large for the gorilla tape method. I see folks have used a Scholls Corn Pen(salicylic acid) in tandem with Mushers wax. Has anyone tried a salicylic acid “dot” under gorilla tape? (I have a corn myself which I trim back and occasionally treat with salicylic acid). I have ground back Lacey’s corn until it was almost invisible and could hardly be felt. At the time I thought I got it! STILL Lacey felt it and limped.