Best Supplements for IBD (suspected) Dog?

We're nearing the end of our various rx food/tylan/metronidazole/fiber etc etc etc IBD suspected trials and haven't really veered very far from what our vets have recommended, so I'm curious now (that we aren't seeing the results we were hoping for) about what what people have used - whether it be OTC supplements or other non-traditional things like acupuncture - for their IBD dogs?

He's already on a probiotic, b vitamin supplement, and psyllium fiber, but it seems like there are a lot of other things out there we could be trying.  What worked for your dog?

*Not looking for recommendations on kibble/homemade/raw food type stuff at the moment - we're just not changing this variable right now

rx vitamin products are on Amazon, I am currently using their probiotic. My vet recommended them, btw. It has been a few years since I had an IBS dog, but the only supplement I can recall using is the probiotic. His condition was mostly managed with diet. I am sorry you are not yet getting the results you want, it can be extremely frustrating!

Aloe Vera tablets could be tried to help against the IBD. Don't buy the cheap ones it must be from the 'fillet' of the leaf not the rind with the diarrhea-inducing saponins in it.

However, as you are heavily into veterinary treatment, run this additional idea past your vet first.

info about it below:

https://animals.mom.me/internal-uses-of-aloe-vera-for-dogs-12573525.html

Petunia's stomach was really bad due to the hookworms she came here with.  Our vet (same vet as Remolacha above) also put her on the Rx Vitamin products.  These are the two we currently use and we have used their Rx Clay in the past for a different dog who had digestive issues and diarrhea. 

Probiotic - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B007O1FHB0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Digestive Enzymes - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B007O1HGBO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Petunia has done well on them.  We are probably in month 4 or so of using them. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

We did use acupuncture and chinese holistic medicine with our IBS dog.  Just to be clear though, ultimately she has an extreme intolerance to chicken and her gut was damaged by hooks as a puppy - not technically IBS.  Our acupuncturist also felt much of Lilly's issues stemmed from anxiety, and that's the main problem she was treating with the needle sessions.  

Our acupuncturist was also a licensed vet, in addition to having advanced training in chinese holistic medicine.  Lilly's treatment plan consisted of 6 initial weekly needle session.  At the same time, we were homecooking a special diet designed to calm her gut (we had already discovered her chicken intolerance through a food trial administered by our regular vet).  The improvement in Lilly was really quick - within two weeks her car sickness disappeared entirely, and her stools improved dramatically, her vomiting stopped.  At the end of 6 weeks we began transitioning her to a commercial (appropriate) diet, moved to every other week needle sessions, and added chinese herbal supplements for anxiety, calm her gut, and to sooth her stomach.

This is the supplemt we used for anxiety:

Herbsmith Calm Shen

The others were proprietary blends made by the acupuncture vet.  Lilly was on these for another four months, with every 3-4 week needle sessions, which were then discontinued.    We used the herbal supplements for another 10 months before discontinueing them, as well.

Her last treatment was over two years ago and she is now doing really great.  As long as I keep on top of any ingredient changes in her food, she has good stools and no bad stomach noises, no gas, no vomiting, no diarrhea.  she still has some quirks - she won't eat kibble, for example, and is only eating canned.  I also have to spoon feed her like a baby twice a day.  Yes, I know.  But she *will not* eat on her own, and we can't have her stomach get empty or else her symptoms come back.  So, I feed her.  (Our regular vet thinks Lilly may have developed a sort of PTSD surrounding eating and food from the early years when she would have pain and sickness every time she ate.)

All our dogs are on this pre/pro biotic supplement and do very well on it.

Nature vet Digestive Enzyme

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly